2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Hope to NEVER own one ever again@
By lucymo on 06/28/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

at 6 years and 114K miles headgaskets failed despite the special sealant/conditioner that Subaru applied to the coolant. Had to replace them and the engine that warped due to overheating (the thermometer never showed signs of overheating). Then, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced, and a whole bunch of other expensive parts. For the money I spent on this car in the last 7 years I could have purchased a new car! The tranny is starting to go - won't shift into D (at 150K m). Since I already put so much money into it, I can't part with it, but it just keeps failing... Very unreliable. I do all scheduled maintenance on time. The only good thing about it is the wagon size - gigantic

very pleased
By kc66 on 10/20/11 18:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

bought this car over 2 years ago with 120,000 miles on it and already put over 70,000 miles in that time. Have had to replace both front cv axles and tie rods, and 1 bearing. So far I've been able to do all the work myself so in material I have only put $250.00 in it. Its been a very hard working car. The AWD is amazing and the flat 4 is very peppy. I get 25 to 29 mpg and I have driven it from northern virginia to southern florida and back with not 1 problem. I hope the car runs another 100,000 and I would buy another.

Teen's first car
By kidchauffeur on 08/22/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this for our high school student to drive. We feel happy that she's in a relatively safe (but maneuverable) car, and she enjoys driving it. (We were looking for underpowered with ABS brakes -- AWD was a bonus -- much appreciated those nights when she drives on rain-slick roads.) It's nearly 10 years old, but does not look it. It probably isn't easy to make a teen smile with a 10- year-old car, but this one does. One note: SUPER IMPORTANT to get the engine treatments. This one had up-to- date engine treatments and Subaru USA was able to tell us when next is due.

172K Test Drive
By RobInIllinois on 05/26/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned a 94 Legacy that I loved and ran to 200 K miles. This has been a disappointment. The Tranny failed at about 70 K and is failing again. Every winter the engine smells like gas as the metal fuel rail contracts. The head gasket is seeping oil.

Just About Perfect!
By Dan on 04/20/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this used in Feb. 2004 with 37K on it. Totally solid, nice smooth ride. Fit & finish excellent. Have put 23K on it in a year, not a single problem (whoops - one burned out bulb).

Seat changes
By gmlin on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall excellent car!!!! But driver seat low and unable to sit upright with legs down. Caused back problems. There isn't enough room to put pillow without hitting the steering wheel.

Outback is A OK
By Titleist on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Great combination of features with this car; AWD, great gas mileage, lots of room, quiet with a nice ride, very dependable. Wonderful for trips and when the weather is bad. Always felt safe while driving this car. I may lease another Subaru but with a 6 cyl this time.

Legacy L Wagon
By Astro on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a wonderful vehicle in our experience. No problems whatsoever. Drives well and the AWD is great (thought slight delay with the automatic transmission). Fit and finish is nice. Seats firm and comfortable. Cupholder design is better than older Subaru models but still poor. Sound system is so-so. Interior is a bit small for my taste and driver's space is somewhat cramped. (And I'm only 5'10) That said, my wife (5'9) is perfectly happy.

My Purchase Was a Mistake
By MarkYiu on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

For the price I paid for this vehicle, I feel that I taken a loss.

Awesome Drive
By condo9 on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I LOVE THIS CAR. I have put over 80,000 miles on my Outback in 2 years. I bought it because I backpack, bike, and haul my dogs around..Plus, I wanted a car that was going to last me more than 200,000 miles. I've been to CO, TN, MO, and IN, in rain, snow, ice, and am completely satisfied with this car's ability to handle it all.