2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Legacy
By Legacy on 01/25/08 11:38 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I am an average driver, and this car has been full of issues. First the check engine light kept coming on, and took it in about 4 times with no luck. (canít find a good Subaru dealer) After warranty was over a non Subaru mechanic found the threads to the knock sensor were striped, causing it to bounce around and get a false signal. Then at 35,000 miles the rear wheel bearing went out. There have been 2 recalls on it, a coolant additive was put in to help prevent issues with the bad head gasket design, and a rear suspension issues was the other. Now at 100,000 miles, the transmission is acting up. Should have bought a Chevy or a Ford, I never had issues like this with them.

Reliable Car - Fun to Drive
By RMAN on 09/09/07 17:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned the car for more than 7 years. It drives the same way today as it did when I bought it. I had a few company recalls on the vehicle but no major problems. The car handles great in any condition. AWD really works well in snow. I have received many compliments onthe looks and styling.

Solid, Dependable, Fun to Drive
By Dave Crawford on 12/28/04 20:24 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased to replace 1996 Legacy GT Automatic. Loved the 5 speed feel and control. The SOHC 2.5 is more responsive and easier to maintain. We have done basically nothing to the car except maintain it in 112000 miles. The only weak area seems to be maintaining wheel alignment. We have had a ball with the car. Intend to keep it another 3 years at least.

2000 Subaru GT Sedan 5spd Manual
By WD Baseley on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Dummies put UGLY advertising plate on car despite SPECIFIC instructions not to! Otherwise nice, good service. GT worth extra $ to me because of sunroof, rear LSD, power extras, upgraded sound sys. Extra bonus is better accel. due to lower final drive ratio. Gas mileage is fine (22 to 28) and car is very relaxed cruising at speed. Confidence-inspiring handling, fun to toss around in the twisties, safe as a house, good pep but could stand another 20-30 hp. Orig. equip. tires so-so, better rubber makes big difference. Also winter tires if you see snow; they turned my car from "gets me home in any conditions" to "whoo-hoo it's snowing let's play!"

I wish it were different
By frowning on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car with great anticipation. This car is extremely fun to drive, looks great, and is solid on the road. Everything was great until I hit 60,000. Just after the warranty expiration, I blew a head gasket. I thought it was odd for this to happen on such a new car, but forged ahead. Then, not even a year later, I lost the number 4 cylinder. I have 80,000 miles on the car and have two major engine repairs. I have spent $1000's in good faith maintenance over the years and fear the worst going forward. I really enjoyed the car, but, sadly, I will probably never buy another Subaru and cannot consciencely recommend this car to anyone.

Best of Every World
By Sandbox711 on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I still smile every time I look at this car and drive it. I have had it for almost 2 years. Looks GREAT - Very sporty without going overboard. Not the fastest car around, but definitly does the job with style. Handles like a sports car. Very solid car (heavier and stronger than the previous legacy models (switched styles in 2000). I was rear ended by a 2002 Honda Accord going 30 mph while I was at a stop light...PAINT damage. That's it folks. New bumper and paint. Police took pictures because nobody would believe them if they told them. Buy this car, you wont be sorry. I still get stopped on the street and asked what kind of car I am driving.

You'd be surprised...
By vtdriver on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

how many trips I had to make to the service department. Issues during the warranty period were numerous. 2 that linger are chatter when engaging the clutch in cold weather, and softness of the brake pedal, which improves if you come of the brake and then get back on it again. The dealer claims that these flaws do not exist. Legacy does a nice job cruising through the Vermont winter. Mileage isn't bad for all wheel drive. Were reliability better, I would gladly recommend it. Unlike my old Loyale, this is no longer a car that can rack up hundreds of thousands of miles without racking up a big maintenance bill.

good car
By merkaba on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

car good very good, go fast, not break down, like radio.

Lightweight
By Jim in Pgh on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Our leased 2000 Subaru GT Ltd has been a brake and tire eater from the day it was driven off the lot. Couple an unforgiving lease contract supported by bad service and it's a recipe for a big consumer cost. We went through three sets of brakes and two sets of tires in <24,000 miles before our local reliable mechanic told us a front CV joint was about to fall apart.