Used 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

I'm Happy with it, but...
By JRes

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it has had its problems. I like the ride and the power is good although I agree that the engine runs too fast at higher speeds. This car could use a better gearing spread or a sixth gear. Here's the list of the car's problems: bad electrical harness, replaced under warranty; leaking sunroofs replaced under warranty 2 times, broken front swaybar, not under warranty; rear sunroof shade won't move in its track, not under warranty, and I have just started to notice a steering shimmy that does not bode well.

It's a comfortable car that handles well. The cargo space is great. I love the AWD.

The reliability must be improved; this car has had too many things go wrong in it's first five years. I would ideally like to keep this car for 7-10 years but I don't know if it will make it that long.

more go less show
By RJJ

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

The gearing makes the 165 hp legacy GT feel quick and responsive. It's definitely lower geared which makes it accelerate aggressively but also results in the engine running at higher RPM at speed, e.g. 3750 rpm @ 80 mph. It could use a 6 speed transmission. Even at that speed/rpm the interior is quiet and the ride is smooth. The car handles beautifully and easily outcorners everything else in its price range. Overall the car feels very sporty and is a fun vehicle to drive.

AWD, quick accereration, responsive and handles excellently

6 speed transmission, more horsepower - it would be nice to have the WRX motor available.

Disappointed
By Quite disappointed

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the looks and practicality of my Subaru Legacy wagon. However, I have already had to have the transmission replaced ($5,000 item at 49,000 miles), head gasgets, brakes, heat shield, the moon roof leaked into the interior light. Thank goodness it is has all been on warrenty, but I bought it thinking that it would be a work horse for many years. The dealer has worked hard to make me happy--but I really don't trust the car but don't want to incur another car payment now that this is just about paid off.

I love the lines of the car--I think it is very pleasing asthetically. I love the wagon.

Light the key area. Move the seat belt latchs so they are not so deep in the seat.

Very disaponted
By Dispointed

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

If you are considering this vehicle be very wary of the stock Bridgestone Potenza tires and interior trim quality. My vehicle began suffering fron bubling and craks in the door trim and centre arm rest. Also fit and finish is well below standard for a vehicle of this price. Watch for problems with leaky sunroofs as well. I was told by the dealer that they are common due to dirt accumulating in a drain tube in the sunroof assemly. Fun to drive but not worth the money!

AWD is flawless

Better fit and finish and higher qaulity materials on interior finish

Great Car
By jakeylake

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a solid car, both inside and out. The exterior finish of car is outstanding, while the interior is above average. The simplicity of using the controls in the car suggests a well designed layout. The lumbar seat for the driver is wonderful for long trips. The AWD was one of the main selling points for this car. The AWD is rock solid, and cars like the VW passat, Audi A4 and Volvo charge $1000.00's when comparing with Legacy GT.

Dual Moonroof. The back seats have so much more light with the roof. AWD and exterior looks of car. Great Paint job

It would be nice if the GT version had an engine with about 20% more go. It's a great engine, but lacks in power at times.