2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Hope to NEVER own one ever again@
By lucymo on 06/28/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

at 6 years and 114K miles headgaskets failed despite the special sealant/conditioner that Subaru applied to the coolant. Had to replace them and the engine that warped due to overheating (the thermometer never showed signs of overheating). Then, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced, and a whole bunch of other expensive parts. For the money I spent on this car in the last 7 years I could have purchased a new car! The tranny is starting to go - won't shift into D (at 150K m). Since I already put so much money into it, I can't part with it, but it just keeps failing... Very unreliable. I do all scheduled maintenance on time. The only good thing about it is the wagon size - gigantic

very pleased
By kc66 on 10/20/11 18:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

bought this car over 2 years ago with 120,000 miles on it and already put over 70,000 miles in that time. Have had to replace both front cv axles and tie rods, and 1 bearing. So far I've been able to do all the work myself so in material I have only put $250.00 in it. Its been a very hard working car. The AWD is amazing and the flat 4 is very peppy. I get 25 to 29 mpg and I have driven it from northern virginia to southern florida and back with not 1 problem. I hope the car runs another 100,000 and I would buy another.

Excellent car thanks Subaru
By RODOLFO MANNELLA on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Nice car. I have a nice time driving it hard in all weather like rain or on sand. Never have any issues, thanks you. Nice handling at corners and stopping, power good top.

Very reliable ride!
By Legacy Lover on 07/13/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this vehicle new in summer of 2000. It has proven to be a very well made and reliable car. The only glitch has been an engine knock sensor that malfunctioned at 70,000 miles and had to be replaced. This repair cost less than $125. Otherwise, I replaced the tires and performed scheduled maintenance. Feels like a sports car to drive! Goes great in snow and ice with all weather, siped tires, but this Sedan has lower ground clearance than the Outback, so 8" or more of snow can be difficult.

Same clutch
By francois on 11/04/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

Hello, we have a Legacy L wagon bought new. It is still the original clutch! 80% is city driving. Comfort is bad, but I like this car. Super great on the snow, 160 hp is plenty, just have to use the shifter. We replaced: an injector, timing belt (maintenance) relay switch for fuel pump and torsion bar that broke on a dirt road. This is an incredible reliability record. However we will not buy another one because of not so good fuel mileage. My daughter will learn to drive with this car.

Teen's first car
By kidchauffeur on 08/22/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this for our high school student to drive. We feel happy that she's in a relatively safe (but maneuverable) car, and she enjoys driving it. (We were looking for underpowered with ABS brakes -- AWD was a bonus -- much appreciated those nights when she drives on rain-slick roads.) It's nearly 10 years old, but does not look it. It probably isn't easy to make a teen smile with a 10- year-old car, but this one does. One note: SUPER IMPORTANT to get the engine treatments. This one had up-to- date engine treatments and Subaru USA was able to tell us when next is due.

172K Test Drive
By RobInIllinois on 05/26/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned a 94 Legacy that I loved and ran to 200 K miles. This has been a disappointment. The Tranny failed at about 70 K and is failing again. Every winter the engine smells like gas as the metal fuel rail contracts. The head gasket is seeping oil.

Good but
By stargazer on 02/19/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car for my wife. She really liked the style of the car. We just traded it in on something else. It had 146,000 miles on it. We had it a few days and the front speakers went out fixed under warranty then there was a problem with the front seat belts eats brakes like no tomorrow. Had to have the sunroof replaced because it leak into cabin and had to replace the timing belt twice. The engine is very sluggish needs a few extra hp. But I never left us beside the road and never left is stranded.

If want one, buy one
By Henry on 12/07/08 23:26 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought legacy with 60,000 miles on it and it now has 90,000. It still has the original clutch. I keep outside through Pennsylvania winters and it starts up perfectly in the cold. We actually tried to sell the car back after our mechanic told us the car had been in a bad accident. We never did, and to our surprise the car has gone 30,000 more miles with absolutely no minor or major problems and is still going. The only thing wrong with the car is the cd player never worked under my ownership and we had two purchase a new pop out cup holder for $60. Overall, I am very satisfied!

Legacy
By Legacy on 01/25/08 11:38 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I am an average driver, and this car has been full of issues. First the check engine light kept coming on, and took it in about 4 times with no luck. (canít find a good Subaru dealer) After warranty was over a non Subaru mechanic found the threads to the knock sensor were striped, causing it to bounce around and get a false signal. Then at 35,000 miles the rear wheel bearing went out. There have been 2 recalls on it, a coolant additive was put in to help prevent issues with the bad head gasket design, and a rear suspension issues was the other. Now at 100,000 miles, the transmission is acting up. Should have bought a Chevy or a Ford, I never had issues like this with them.

1 2 3 4 5 next »