1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Sweet looking money pit...terr

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

GT Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix on

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter. I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

Good in snow. Sun/moon roof, plenty of room, when working properly it runs smooth and quiet, looks cool for a wagon, minimal damage when we hit a full grown deer. Comfortable. A/C & heat work well.

Reliability & durability would be a fantastic start.