Good Car with Some Quirks
By JamesRPeters on
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD
Have 110,000 miles on the car and I bought it with 60k on it used. I do all my own work on my cars and I did not really have anything besides routine maintenance until about 103k. At that time the driver side wheel bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Soon after the front crank seal started to leak really bad. I pulled apart the front of the engine and replaced the seal, timing belt because it was due, coolant, belts, hoses, and the water pump ($60 insurance). The oil leak caused quite a bit of smoke for a small leak. Now the front seal is fixed but one of the valve covers has a leak as well as the oil pan, which are all rather close to the exhaust resulting in a slight smell.
Favorite Features
Excellent handling, especially in the snow. Heated seats and other cold weather features for going snowboarding. Excellent cargo capacity. Good stock stereo.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders were remedied in 2000, make it so that the ABS ring does not shatter when dismantling the bearing assembly. Better fuel economy would also be good. I get 24 mph on the freeway.