Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Hall anything anywhere
By autooracle

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket. That was pretty much it. Peppy, great on fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights. Mean fog lamps.

Suggested Improvements

They did it: Variable intermittent wipers, intermittent rear wiper.

That Box May Have a Use
By Unknown Person

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I got this about 6 years ago for my wife. I loved it in 2002. Now, in 2008, 9 years later, boxy doesn't fit my cool image. I love the AWD but the styling sucks. It's a box! I do not like any imitation wood or ugly black plastic. It has some wind noise over 65 mph. I like that the Limited interior for its modern decade features like CD player and heated power leather seats. I wish I could have got the wagon after I got kids, but I changed my mind after I folded down the seats for the first time. Soccer moms come here! Over all it is a great vehicle, but do you and your cosmetic mind a favor: Year 2000 or up Subaru Legacy or Impreza.

Favorite Features

Modern features that lasted a decade. All wheel drive. Fold down seats.

Suggested Improvements

Styling makeover. Thigh-support. Wind noise. Small backseat.

Lots of problems!
By disapointed

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned our Subaru for 3 years now and we are much more than upside down in the actual value of the car. Five months after buying it the tranny quit, thankfully it was under warranty. Next, about a year later it was the radiator, water pump, some random hoses, cam shaft seals and we did the timing belt to be safe. The most recent repair and the most expensive, the heads and head gaskets! This is our second and most likely last subaru. Major lemon!

Favorite Features

Heated seats. AWD

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are in an awful spot. Hopefully the engine problem has been resolved

1999 GT Wagon
By ROB

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car!! It makes me feel like I am sixteen again. I look for any reason to go for a ride. It's fun to drive with its great ride. This car is also great on gas, very hot topic today with the high gas prices. Subaru did a great job with this car.

Favorite Features

I love how this car handles. Everything feels very tight. I also love how the car is so great on gas. Its very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have a little more horse power. My other vehicle has a V8 and I notice the difference. I would take the Subaru GT over the V8 any day when it comes to going to the gas pump.

Very good AWD car, but...
By martinjmpr

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Wagon (OBW) in April of 03 with 42k on it. At the time I was unaware of the dreaded head gasket problem! Mine had the AT and the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package which included heated seats, mirrors and wipers. About that: the only seat heater that worked was the driver's side. As near as I can tell the mirror and windshield wiper "heaters" do absolutely nothing. Either that or mine were broken. Lots of fun to drive, especially on dirt roads - it's fun to play rally racer in this car! Ground clearance is better than average at about 7.5" but this is not an off-roader. Mud can get packed into the driveshaft tunnel. Has a lot of capacity. Good car for the money.

Favorite Features

I never had any serious trouble with mine but was always worried about the head gasket, which is why I sold it at 120k. Economy was good at 23 city, 27- 30 highway (AT.) AWD is a blast and worked great in the snow and ice of Wyoming and Colorado. Almost long enough for me to sleep in.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat is not comfortable on long trips, padding crushed down. Beware of the dreaded head gasket! Best suggestion is get an 03-up model, you will have no HG problems and you will get the rear limited slip, too (not avail. in '99.) Don't expect seat, mirror or wiper heaters to work.