1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Would buy another one...
By granbit on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Our first Outback was purchased in 2000. My wife was in a major accident with our first Outback when a 1970's Lincoln Continental ran a red light and smashed into the front portion of my wife's car...it was totaled. She suffered minor injuries. While she was being taken by ambulance to the hospital, she was asked by the EMT what car she was in. After saying she was in an Outback, the EMT replied that the car probably saved her life. He also added that he bought his wife an Outback based on what he has seen from many accidents involving Outbacks. It was quite an endorsement, and we bought a replacement Outback two weeks later.

My Dream Car
By Indy Bud on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

My family has owned Subarus since 1974. When the Outback was introduced I knew that was the car I wanted. Everyone I knew that owned one loved it. It is roomy, comfortable, and will get through any kind of weather! I have filled the back with plants, rocks, furniture, and dogs. The only problem I have with it is the cup holder in the front seat. It blocks the stereo and heater controls. But I know they changed that in 2000.

Not for families
By crb on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car when I was 7 months pregnant with my first child because I wanted a good family car. I found out quickly that it is extremely difficult to fit a car seat into the back. I had to purchase FIVE seats until I found one that fit. Subaru of America was not at all helpful and denied any problems.

Great bike and ski car
By Eric Thoben on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Have had lots of fun with this Outback. Very good in the snow. Got rid of factory Michelin's--a little slick in upstate NY, Great ski and bike car. Good automatic--my 3rd Subaru. Stay away from 5 spd. Service great in Hudson Valley at Colonial-Kingston NY. Very few problems--all minor. Would reccommend. Service never a problem! To bad dealer aren't as good elsewhere.

15,314 of 15,445 people found this review helpful
1999 Subaru Outback
By myfirstsubaru on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The lower interior design rating is due to bad cupholders, and some of the controls, cruise control on/off master, fog lights, are hidden behind the steering wheel. Rides really well off road, drove total of 8 miles near Holy Jim Trail, orange County, CA. The 2.5 Liter has plenty of acceleration for my driving style. Some road noise at freeway speeds, but NOT too much. Clutch pedal seems to behave differently in LA traffic, maybe due to heat, (does not affect operation of vehicle). A little excessive body roll on turns. Car still handles VERY well despite the roll. I am 6 ft tall and it could use just a little more leg room. I love my Outback!

Love this car!
By 2manybooks on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new, have loved it for 77,000 miles! Totally reliable, great car for city and highway driving, wonderful in our Colorado snow, I love the SW's capacity for hauling my stuff. I was able to buy a total creampuff 2000 Outback recently, and I've been sluggish about efforts to sell this 1999 car, 'cause I've liked it so much!

very satisfied
By catherinehenry on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

bought this over the volvo wagon because i liked the size and design better. I'm very happy with my decision. Great gas mileage, roomy and fun to drive.

Reliable, simple & uncomfortable
By Nancy Pilotte on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car over a camry or accord because it seemed faster, more sure-footed and useful. The car has been driven across country in Jan/Feb twice through the worst weather and just performed admirably under all conditions. The 2.2 litre flat 4 is reliable and powerful enough when mated to the Man 5. Wouldn't get the auto with this engine or the 2.5. I like the spartan no-nonsense interior with manual everything windows,doors, locks etc... 24 to 32 MPG 78000 trouble-free miles

needbetterdealers
By ilovemysubie on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my car, but I have had many problems with the dealerships (more than one). The car itself looks great, is always fun to drive, holds up well and actually gets pretty good mileage considering the weight and AWD (always 25+ mpg). I've had a few minor problems...that seemed like major ones thanks to the "lack of service" departments. Everything takes weeks to do and more than once I have been billed for things that just weren't done. At the latest routine service, I was actually given the car back with the check engine light on!!! For these reasons, I probably won't ever buy a Subaru again, but that's ok because I hope to keep this one forever.

99 outback legacy
By Scott1071 on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I originally bought a '99 new, but totalled it, and it did great in the wreck. Believe me, the Blazer looked worse... I got another used one, same year, and have had nothing but problems. Loose front end, weird noises, exhaust leaks. The worst problem is the clutch. Subaru puts lousy manual transmissions in their vehicles. I'm on my 3rd in 75,000 miles and am a VERY conservative driver with a manual. Throw out bearing squeak, pilot bearing shot, clutch shudder, etc.