1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
I modified mines, no problems!
By tednj on 11/05/08 12:32 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 99 Legacy Outback. The only problem I had was an intermittent speedo. It took me a while but I figured it out. I have a led foot, it has not let me down. I'm impressed with the performance. It has over 140,000! As soon as I bought it I did a tuneup, ignition, engine and transmission etc. You don't know how the previous owner treated an took care of the car. When you buy a used car you have to be aware there are worn parts and eventually you will be replacing them. If your vehicle is smoking don't wait till it cashes fire so you can complain about it.

My third Subaru
By asmith on 06/12/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

My third Subaru since 1985. I got it used in Aug 03 and it only had 12000 miles on it. No problems so far. Just new battery, drive belts and tires. I've got 60000 miles on it now and it drives great. The first 3 years I had it I only drove it about 100 miles per week. Now get 27 MPG on my 44 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. And that's great in Honolulu traffic! Front end modification punched out the faux air intake cover and cracked the spoiler after hitting a traffic cone at 60 mph. Ooops! No kids and few passengers and the back seat still looks like new!

Outstanding value, build quality
By Austinbirdman on 06/03/08 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1999 Subaru Outback wagon has not had one mechanical problem during 9 years (and counting) of service, with the lone exception of the time my father destroyed the clutch in one day of shiftless driving, which was his fault, not the car's. Additionally, I have been hit twice while driving the car, and it holds up like a champ. In one case, a woman who rear ended me at a stoplight totaled her car, while the Subaru escaped with minor damage in the rear end. A side swipe from another reckless driver who ran a red light dented my side doors, but you can not even see the damage inside the Outback. I trust this car with my life, and more importantly my two kids' lives. Great car.

Wow! I can't believe it's from 1999
By Bob Lovington on 05/27/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

It may sound weird. But it feels dated inside and out. More like 1994 Volkswagen Passat I used to have. It is a very reliable car, though I wish now that it had side curtain airbags. It has some innovative features like a weather radio which is neat. The most fun thing to do with the car is make it go through puddles. It has horrible gas mileage. I would expect the gas mileage from a 6 cylinder not a 4 cylinder.

Hall anything anywhere
By autooracle on 04/20/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket. That was pretty much it. Peppy, great on fuel economy.

That Box May Have a Use
By Unknown Person on 03/29/08 20:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I got this about 6 years ago for my wife. I loved it in 2002. Now, in 2008, 9 years later, boxy doesn't fit my cool image. I love the AWD but the styling sucks. It's a box! I do not like any imitation wood or ugly black plastic. It has some wind noise over 65 mph. I like that the Limited interior for its modern decade features like CD player and heated power leather seats. I wish I could have got the wagon after I got kids, but I changed my mind after I folded down the seats for the first time. Soccer moms come here! Over all it is a great vehicle, but do you and your cosmetic mind a favor: Year 2000 or up Subaru Legacy or Impreza.

Lots of problems!
By disapointed on 03/15/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned our Subaru for 3 years now and we are much more than upside down in the actual value of the car. Five months after buying it the tranny quit, thankfully it was under warranty. Next, about a year later it was the radiator, water pump, some random hoses, cam shaft seals and we did the timing belt to be safe. The most recent repair and the most expensive, the heads and head gaskets! This is our second and most likely last subaru. Major lemon!

1999 GT Wagon
By ROB on 10/07/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car!! It makes me feel like I am sixteen again. I look for any reason to go for a ride. It's fun to drive with its great ride. This car is also great on gas, very hot topic today with the high gas prices. Subaru did a great job with this car.

Very good AWD car, but...
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Wagon (OBW) in April of 03 with 42k on it. At the time I was unaware of the dreaded head gasket problem! Mine had the AT and the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package which included heated seats, mirrors and wipers. About that: the only seat heater that worked was the driver's side. As near as I can tell the mirror and windshield wiper "heaters" do absolutely nothing. Either that or mine were broken. Lots of fun to drive, especially on dirt roads - it's fun to play rally racer in this car! Ground clearance is better than average at about 7.5" but this is not an off-roader. Mud can get packed into the driveshaft tunnel. Has a lot of capacity. Good car for the money.

LOV E IT
By LOVE IT on 12/02/06 16:32 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Excellent in the snow, great ABS brakes. I wish like others it would take hills better and have better gas mileage. For years I never had problems except brake pads. Now my shifting isn't right. Never rusted and was outside all the time. I got rear ended and not a scratch on my car. Never had to replace the muffler and the car always started in sub zero temps. Sunroof leaks on the passenger side. Love the visibility and the trunk room is awesome.