Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My first Subaru
By tomison61

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

My cousins have talked about these cars for years! I did not believe them at first, I needed a used car that was good on gas, I found this one, it needed brakes, a front wheel bearing and 1 tire, I bought it for $1300.00 and did the work needed, Well let me tell you after I drove it I fell in love with it, goes any where, gas mileage after a tune up is 39 highway, This is awesome,

Gas mileage, I can resell this for a profit!

Always have a mechanic look at any car before you buy it, They are trained to look for things other people may not know about!

Just what I needed
By WJM

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago and have been loving it! It has 129,000 miles on it and it drives great! I went from an Acura RSX to a station wagon, so I obviously didn't buy it for style. I love the way it drives and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing I am disappointed in is the gas-mileage. 21 MPG is pretty bad for a 4-cylinder. The rear latch for the hatch is broken and I can only purchase a new one from the dealer, which will cost me about $180, a total rip-off if you ask me. Not ever wanting a truck, this vehicle is great for home-improvement projects. If this holds up I would buy another one.

Lots of space, roof rack, AWD.

Let aftermarket companies make your parts to make them more affordable. Make your engine more fuel efficient, or just smaller.

Head Gasket Issues: Subaru 1995-2000
By Noah

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru, but if I had known that Subaru made poor quality head gaskets in the late 90s I would have never bought one. $3000 dollars later (@125k miles) I have a new head gasket and clutch and will never again buy a Subaru. My only other issues: The shifter rattles and the cup holder is directly over the CD player. Look into the head gasket issue before you buy!

Fun to drive and great in snowy winter.

gas mileage, cup holder, head gasket.

Snow bound in Siberia
By Leadfoot

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased prior to transfer to Finland for its 4wd. It's handled great on the ice covered roads of northern Finland with some issues related to brakes wearing out early (Maybe too much salt on the roads). It does suck down the gas but has reliable starting history and only required some minor maintenance on the cooling system to date. It is an oil burner but not such that it needs any additional in the 3,000 mile change intervals that I am using. Found the Fully synt oil burns or runs out faster than the partially synt. Now looking at a new clutch set replacement after 120k. Not bad since it does take a bit of abuse.

ICE and snow handling. Heated seats in the cold of winter.

Poor brakes and cooling problems through the life.

Another Subaru Owner
By Jon

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Started driving Subaru vehicles in 1985. This is the 4th Subaru in our family (1985 SW, 1986 SW (son), 1999 Brighton SW, 2005 Imprezza SW (wife)). The 1999 Brighton has been a solid car; excellent handing and good in the snow with Michelin all-season tires. Only one mechanical problem -- at 77000 miles, the front viscous coupling failed. Dealer recommended replacement of the clutch at the same time. Hope to replace this car at some point with another Subaru; will probably will opt for a Forester or the cheapest Outback.

Good handling car. Got it at an excellent price.