Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Most Helpful|
Transmission issues
By Maggielu

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Transmission going at 85,000 miles. Heard that this is an issue that Subaru will not admit is a problem. Cup holders in a very stupid place, Cannot get to heating controls when cups in holders also they are right above the CD player so pray that you don't spill anything. Would not recomment purchasing this car!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

See above

Dealer is the worst - Paul Brother VA
By Pissed Customer

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I like the car very much but not after seeing the dealership. The car is troubled after 50K miles. The whole car will shake from RPM 2500 to 3200. My transmission forward will delayed. The dealer has not willing to fix the car problems and keep ignore me coz my car still under the powertrain warranty(no money to earn). Dealer just keep postpone the fix time and put all problems on Subaru Corp. It's waste me lot of time without solve my car problems. I don't think I will buy Subaru car in rest of my life just because the dealer so terrible.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Dealer service. Reliability and meterial quality. Seat comfort.

I'm Done with Subaru
By Real CT Card

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Burnt valve. Complete engine replacement. Need I say more, but I will. We (family) bought this car as an SUV/Minivan alternative and as a good, all-around utility vehicle, but now that we have 2 kids it is way too small. The car is completely underpowered--I always had my foot to the floor. Both my wife and I have owned three subarus in the past, but we are now thru. I needed 150,000 miles out of this one, and only got half that. Its now for sale, after a $3,000 repair. After a little research, It appears that they had problems with this engine and reverted back to the SOHC design the next year.

Favorite Features

Handling, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

more room, better engine.

LEMON...legal measures/will/be/taken
By Allison DeWitt

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

In and out of the shop. Warranty is barely up Complained about the need for the latest repair..it magically disappeared today,BUT something more expensive needs work. noisy motor sounds..... finish is not holding up, lots of rattlesWhy didn't I buy a Honda or Jetta?

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

better paint, cup holder, keypads & check on your dealerships,

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and mirrors, all-wheel drive, body style, powerful for it's size, decent gas mileage (when it's working properly)

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin? This car is completely unreliable. I've spent more money repairing it than it is worth, and it still needs thousands of dollars worth in more repairs. Suggested improvement: make a better car. Oh, and the cup holder placement is terrible. Right above the radio, makes no sense.