1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
I really do love my wagon!
By D.Waterhouse on 04/27/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

208,000 miles and still running strong. New head gasket, transmission,wheel bearings,struts,sway bars, and lots of oil leaks and I still love it. It has 2 sun roofs, 9 speaker stereo, heated leather, whats not to love. Last year in 24 hours we got 36" of snow in north Idaho, I pushed the snow with the back bumper out into the street. it came over the roof and down the hood. We're taking a family road trip to the San Diego zoo in May, in the Subaru. I have no doubt my car will do amazing. This car has blown me away every day since I bought it. I've put 130,000 of the 208,000 miles on it, the tires wear great. I just put on my 3rd set this spring. I can't emphasize it enough, I love my Subaru!

My only... and LAST Subaru
By senoranash on 02/09/09 15:56 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I call my car "the Subaru from Hell" as I seem to be the only person I know who has had bad luck with Subarus. It was essentially fine until 70,000 miles, and since it's been one thing after another... most expensive. A major oil leak that went to the dealership and 2 other mechanics before it was fixed; tires will not stay inflated - something to do with rims, as tires were replaced, speedometer, air conditioner no longer function, trunk latch, hood latch replaced twice, electrical issues with the radio and int. lights, now the clutch is on its way out, and its again leaking oil. I could go on, but you get the idea. I trade it in this week...YEEHAH! It kicks in the snow, which I love.

Never buy a Subaru
By Henry on 01/30/09 21:20 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a very bad idea from me to try this car, I always have a Honda or Toyota. This Outback was overheating since the first day I got it. On my way home from the dealer the problems started. The first was the speedometer didn't work, second the motor mount broken and A/C out of service, the worst part was the overheating problem. Three months after we got this car start overheating and the dealer told me that to fix that problem will cost me $4,300.00. I took the vehicle to my local mechanic and I expended $2,850.00 replacing the heads gasket and refurnishing the head of the engine and after that I used the vehicle for another two months and start overheating. I sold it for $500.00

I modified mines, no problems!
By tednj on 11/05/08 12:32 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 99 Legacy Outback. The only problem I had was an intermittent speedo. It took me a while but I figured it out. I have a led foot, it has not let me down. I'm impressed with the performance. It has over 140,000! As soon as I bought it I did a tuneup, ignition, engine and transmission etc. You don't know how the previous owner treated an took care of the car. When you buy a used car you have to be aware there are worn parts and eventually you will be replacing them. If your vehicle is smoking don't wait till it cashes fire so you can complain about it.

Outstanding value, build quality
By Austinbirdman on 06/03/08 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1999 Subaru Outback wagon has not had one mechanical problem during 9 years (and counting) of service, with the lone exception of the time my father destroyed the clutch in one day of shiftless driving, which was his fault, not the car's. Additionally, I have been hit twice while driving the car, and it holds up like a champ. In one case, a woman who rear ended me at a stoplight totaled her car, while the Subaru escaped with minor damage in the rear end. A side swipe from another reckless driver who ran a red light dented my side doors, but you can not even see the damage inside the Outback. I trust this car with my life, and more importantly my two kids' lives. Great car.

Hall anything anywhere
By autooracle on 04/20/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket. That was pretty much it. Peppy, great on fuel economy.

Lots of problems!
By disapointed on 03/15/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned our Subaru for 3 years now and we are much more than upside down in the actual value of the car. Five months after buying it the tranny quit, thankfully it was under warranty. Next, about a year later it was the radiator, water pump, some random hoses, cam shaft seals and we did the timing belt to be safe. The most recent repair and the most expensive, the heads and head gaskets! This is our second and most likely last subaru. Major lemon!

1999 GT Wagon
By ROB on 10/07/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car!! It makes me feel like I am sixteen again. I look for any reason to go for a ride. It's fun to drive with its great ride. This car is also great on gas, very hot topic today with the high gas prices. Subaru did a great job with this car.

Very good AWD car, but...
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Wagon (OBW) in April of 03 with 42k on it. At the time I was unaware of the dreaded head gasket problem! Mine had the AT and the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package which included heated seats, mirrors and wipers. About that: the only seat heater that worked was the driver's side. As near as I can tell the mirror and windshield wiper "heaters" do absolutely nothing. Either that or mine were broken. Lots of fun to drive, especially on dirt roads - it's fun to play rally racer in this car! Ground clearance is better than average at about 7.5" but this is not an off-roader. Mud can get packed into the driveshaft tunnel. Has a lot of capacity. Good car for the money.

Not Recommended
By Ln on 11/22/06 22:10 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Several people complain about needing a head gasket. When mine blew, 1000 miles beyond warranty and without warning, I had to replace the entire engine. It sounds as if Subaru should have sent a warning to owners, but they are the least helpful manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. Their dealers are equally unresponsive, and I have yet to find one in our area that I would ever deal with again.