Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My Dream Car
By Indy Bud

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

My family has owned Subarus since 1974. When the Outback was introduced I knew that was the car I wanted. Everyone I knew that owned one loved it. It is roomy, comfortable, and will get through any kind of weather! I have filled the back with plants, rocks, furniture, and dogs. The only problem I have with it is the cup holder in the front seat. It blocks the stereo and heater controls. But I know they changed that in 2000.

Favorite Features

I love the leather heated seats, the AWD, and the way it rides. I enjoy being up higher than a typical car, without being in an overly big SUV. Single CD player is excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder design needed. Stereo sounds good, but a little complicated to operate while driving.

Love this car!
By 2manybooks

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new, have loved it for 77,000 miles! Totally reliable, great car for city and highway driving, wonderful in our Colorado snow, I love the SW's capacity for hauling my stuff. I was able to buy a total creampuff 2000 Outback recently, and I've been sluggish about efforts to sell this 1999 car, 'cause I've liked it so much!

Favorite Features

AWD, Leather seats, dual moonroofs, great sound system, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are stupid (Sub fixed this in 2000+ models); rear window washer poorly placed (also fixed in 2000+ models)

Quirky little bugger!
By Confused owner

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had this car for a few months now and it's already been in the shop three times. I actually love the car but wish that a mechanic could deteremine why the car has difficulty shifting from reverse to drive (it's an automatic transmission).

Favorite Features

Excellent handling!!! The car is very roomy on the inside yet handles like a smaller sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible cup holder!!!!

Subie's good!!!
By vxr

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Just bought a used subie(30th year limited outback edition) a couple of months back. I have already put 4k miles in two months, just roaming in- state of colorado. Because of it's high ground clearance, I am able to take it onto dirt roads filled with snow which I wouldn't dare otherwise. Subie's vibration damping is good and body roll is largely contained during twisty turns on the mountains. I really like this car & just couldn't wait for the ski season.

Favorite Features

leather, heated comforts, rear spoiler and good size tires.

Suggested Improvements

Cup-holders!!!, Ah!!! whoever designed them must have hated coffee/coke. Such an in-efficient design. Power - Not much available in lower RPM band. Engine technology is not on par with Honda or Toyota. A V6 honda would give more mileage than the subie...

Great Car but Subaru Dealers SUCK!
By mila

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the Subaru wagon used in June 2002. Had a oil leak problem that has escalated to a severe problem. Under warranty, took to dealer to fix. Dealer mechanics are idiots! Customer service was horrible! They treated me like crap! But I still love my car.

Favorite Features

Love how it handles like a sports car, yet is roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the poor quality dirnk holders. I spent alot of money, at least give me a drink holder that is not positioned directly above my stereo and something that can hold a drink.