1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1999 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

Favorite Features

The leather seats still get hot, the heated washer fluid works wounder is a true lifesaver, and the heated mirrors are quite handy in Pennsylvania winter weather. There are obvious improvements in the stereo system as well with 4 door speakers and 4 tweets. Oh, and of course Subaru AWD!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, but that issue has already been addressed!

They don't build em like they used to
By Crud

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1992 legacy 2.2 with 245K miles, that still works flawlessly. However, I needed a lower mileage vehicle so how could I go wrong with another Suby so I bought a 1999 which now has 101K (I think because the speedometer/odometer is garbage). The 2.2 SOHC changed from a noninterference on my 92, to interference on the 2.2 SOHC 99 (won't get off with just a broken timing belt). No speedometer cable on the 99 only cheap three strand spaghetti wires (way too many). Subaru changed from reliable, to electrically ridden piles of crap, overpriced for the reliability. Love the wagon though. Ford Freestyles are a great AWD wagon alternative,good mpg too :). Sorry Subaru this will be my last one.

Favorite Features

AWD. Capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to what you were good at Subaru. Instead of saving a buck you should think about your loyal consumers who won't buy another Subaru now. Oh and the cup holder, better off holding a cup between your legs.

I really do love my wagon!
By D.Waterhouse

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

208,000 miles and still running strong. New head gasket, transmission,wheel bearings,struts,sway bars, and lots of oil leaks and I still love it. It has 2 sun roofs, 9 speaker stereo, heated leather, whats not to love. Last year in 24 hours we got 36" of snow in north Idaho, I pushed the snow with the back bumper out into the street. it came over the roof and down the hood. We're taking a family road trip to the San Diego zoo in May, in the Subaru. I have no doubt my car will do amazing. This car has blown me away every day since I bought it. I've put 130,000 of the 208,000 miles on it, the tires wear great. I just put on my 3rd set this spring. I can't emphasize it enough, I love my Subaru!

Favorite Features

The all-wheel-drive, dual sunroofs, sound system, rear seat leg and head room. Leather steering wheel/shifter. Frameless windows, fog lights, heated mirrors and windshield glass under wipers. The hood scoop is great, the roof rack is very useful. Versatility of rear seat configuration. Most everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better clear coat. Different front sunroof gasket. More reliable auto trans... Eliminate head gasket problems and oil leaks. Longer lasting struts, more durable fog light glass. Fix HVAC quirks. Only half of my drivers heated seat works (the back). I still love it!

Good Car with Some Quirks
By JamesRPeters

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Have 110,000 miles on the car and I bought it with 60k on it used. I do all my own work on my cars and I did not really have anything besides routine maintenance until about 103k. At that time the driver side wheel bearing went out and needed to be replaced. Soon after the front crank seal started to leak really bad. I pulled apart the front of the engine and replaced the seal, timing belt because it was due, coolant, belts, hoses, and the water pump ($60 insurance). The oil leak caused quite a bit of smoke for a small leak. Now the front seal is fixed but one of the valve covers has a leak as well as the oil pan, which are all rather close to the exhaust resulting in a slight smell.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, especially in the snow. Heated seats and other cold weather features for going snowboarding. Excellent cargo capacity. Good stock stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders were remedied in 2000, make it so that the ABS ring does not shatter when dismantling the bearing assembly. Better fuel economy would also be good. I get 24 mph on the freeway.

I'm Done with Subaru
By Real CT Card

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Burnt valve. Complete engine replacement. Need I say more, but I will. We (family) bought this car as an SUV/Minivan alternative and as a good, all-around utility vehicle, but now that we have 2 kids it is way too small. The car is completely underpowered--I always had my foot to the floor. Both my wife and I have owned three subarus in the past, but we are now thru. I needed 150,000 miles out of this one, and only got half that. Its now for sale, after a $3,000 repair. After a little research, It appears that they had problems with this engine and reverted back to the SOHC design the next year.

Favorite Features

Handling, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

more room, better engine.

My Dream Car
By Indy Bud

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

My family has owned Subarus since 1974. When the Outback was introduced I knew that was the car I wanted. Everyone I knew that owned one loved it. It is roomy, comfortable, and will get through any kind of weather! I have filled the back with plants, rocks, furniture, and dogs. The only problem I have with it is the cup holder in the front seat. It blocks the stereo and heater controls. But I know they changed that in 2000.

Favorite Features

I love the leather heated seats, the AWD, and the way it rides. I enjoy being up higher than a typical car, without being in an overly big SUV. Single CD player is excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder design needed. Stereo sounds good, but a little complicated to operate while driving.

Love this car!
By 2manybooks

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new, have loved it for 77,000 miles! Totally reliable, great car for city and highway driving, wonderful in our Colorado snow, I love the SW's capacity for hauling my stuff. I was able to buy a total creampuff 2000 Outback recently, and I've been sluggish about efforts to sell this 1999 car, 'cause I've liked it so much!

Favorite Features

AWD, Leather seats, dual moonroofs, great sound system, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are stupid (Sub fixed this in 2000+ models); rear window washer poorly placed (also fixed in 2000+ models)

Quirky little bugger!
By Confused owner

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had this car for a few months now and it's already been in the shop three times. I actually love the car but wish that a mechanic could deteremine why the car has difficulty shifting from reverse to drive (it's an automatic transmission).

Favorite Features

Excellent handling!!! The car is very roomy on the inside yet handles like a smaller sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible cup holder!!!!

Subie's good!!!
By vxr

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Just bought a used subie(30th year limited outback edition) a couple of months back. I have already put 4k miles in two months, just roaming in- state of colorado. Because of it's high ground clearance, I am able to take it onto dirt roads filled with snow which I wouldn't dare otherwise. Subie's vibration damping is good and body roll is largely contained during twisty turns on the mountains. I really like this car & just couldn't wait for the ski season.

Favorite Features

leather, heated comforts, rear spoiler and good size tires.

Suggested Improvements

Cup-holders!!!, Ah!!! whoever designed them must have hated coffee/coke. Such an in-efficient design. Power - Not much available in lower RPM band. Engine technology is not on par with Honda or Toyota. A V6 honda would give more mileage than the subie...

Great Car but Subaru Dealers SUCK!
By mila

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought the Subaru wagon used in June 2002. Had a oil leak problem that has escalated to a severe problem. Under warranty, took to dealer to fix. Dealer mechanics are idiots! Customer service was horrible! They treated me like crap! But I still love my car.

Favorite Features

Love how it handles like a sports car, yet is roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the poor quality dirnk holders. I spent alot of money, at least give me a drink holder that is not positioned directly above my stereo and something that can hold a drink.