1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465 on 08/02/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.

Never buy a Subaru
By Henry on 01/30/09 21:20 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a very bad idea from me to try this car, I always have a Honda or Toyota. This Outback was overheating since the first day I got it. On my way home from the dealer the problems started. The first was the speedometer didn't work, second the motor mount broken and A/C out of service, the worst part was the overheating problem. Three months after we got this car start overheating and the dealer told me that to fix that problem will cost me $4,300.00. I took the vehicle to my local mechanic and I expended $2,850.00 replacing the heads gasket and refurnishing the head of the engine and after that I used the vehicle for another two months and start overheating. I sold it for $500.00

Lots of problems!
By disapointed on 03/15/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned our Subaru for 3 years now and we are much more than upside down in the actual value of the car. Five months after buying it the tranny quit, thankfully it was under warranty. Next, about a year later it was the radiator, water pump, some random hoses, cam shaft seals and we did the timing belt to be safe. The most recent repair and the most expensive, the heads and head gaskets! This is our second and most likely last subaru. Major lemon!

Dependable car
By Brenda G on 08/11/05 18:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Subaru L AWD wagon has been a good reliable kid car. It has never given us any problems. It has gotten decent gas mileage, which I am very grateful for now that the price of gas is high. The wagon and rack on top has been very useful for us in hauling things. If I get another car, I will get another Subaru.

Good 4wd capability
By Thad Burr on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 5th Subaru, and I buy them for the value, the 4wd handling, and the gas mileage. I definitely recommend the cargo liner, floor mats, fog lights, cruise control and roof rack. Cons: The engine is not real peppy, and I have had problems with it burning oil above 130,000 miles. Also, the light assemblies are fastened with plastic clips, which frequently break. Lastly, the radio antenna extension is not reliable over the long term.

Wonderful car!
By budakhjs on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

i bought this car, expecting a boring station wagon. what i got was a great little peppy all-wheel drive beast.

review
By bobdavis on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I had to get a new transmission at 70K. I am a mom and drove it to and from work with a few long highway trips. I was pretty disturbed by the whole incident.

Subaru Legacy L Wagon 30th Anni. Edition
By tele7 on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car for the automatic trans., and have found it to be a great mid-size wagon that's fun to drive with loads of practicality.