Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

1999 Outback Legacy Wagon
By Elissa Augello

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Unlike many of the reviews, I bought my Outback brand new. It currently has 87k miles on it and has never stranded me anywhere. I change the oil religiously and keep up with the maintenance. When you buy a used car, you never know how the persons) before you have driven or maintained the car. As old as she is, I still enjoy driving her. Too bad the new Outback's do not have manual transmissions. I guest I will have to keep driving her until she blows up.

Just what I needed
By WJM

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago and have been loving it! It has 129,000 miles on it and it drives great! I went from an Acura RSX to a station wagon, so I obviously didn't buy it for style. I love the way it drives and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing I am disappointed in is the gas-mileage. 21 MPG is pretty bad for a 4-cylinder. The rear latch for the hatch is broken and I can only purchase a new one from the dealer, which will cost me about $180, a total rip-off if you ask me. Not ever wanting a truck, this vehicle is great for home-improvement projects. If this holds up I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Lots of space, roof rack, AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Let aftermarket companies make your parts to make them more affordable. Make your engine more fuel efficient, or just smaller.

Snow bound in Siberia
By Leadfoot

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased prior to transfer to Finland for its 4wd. It's handled great on the ice covered roads of northern Finland with some issues related to brakes wearing out early (Maybe too much salt on the roads). It does suck down the gas but has reliable starting history and only required some minor maintenance on the cooling system to date. It is an oil burner but not such that it needs any additional in the 3,000 mile change intervals that I am using. Found the Fully synt oil burns or runs out faster than the partially synt. Now looking at a new clutch set replacement after 120k. Not bad since it does take a bit of abuse.

Favorite Features

ICE and snow handling. Heated seats in the cold of winter.

Suggested Improvements

Poor brakes and cooling problems through the life.

Outback CO Front Range
By Joe 8753

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

While it worked, great car for Rocky Mtn winters for ten years. Great traction, stability. Not so great mileage for a 4-cyl engine (maybe 22 mpg average). Inside, not so good -- cup holders block radio, radio reception subpar, seats lost cushioning. Plenty of storage space. Had two major mechanical problems: 1. timing belt broke at 105,200 miles, just 200 miles past scheduled change mileage (needed new engine block, $3000); 2. head gasket blew at 171,000 miles on new engine (sold car for parts for $700). Will not buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Handling in snow, good storage capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Engine that doesn't self-destruct (oh, yeah, and the cup holder location, too).

My only... and LAST Subaru
By senoranash

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I call my car "the Subaru from Hell" as I seem to be the only person I know who has had bad luck with Subarus. It was essentially fine until 70,000 miles, and since it's been one thing after another... most expensive. A major oil leak that went to the dealership and 2 other mechanics before it was fixed; tires will not stay inflated - something to do with rims, as tires were replaced, speedometer, air conditioner no longer function, trunk latch, hood latch replaced twice, electrical issues with the radio and int. lights, now the clutch is on its way out, and its again leaking oil. I could go on, but you get the idea. I trade it in this week...YEEHAH! It kicks in the snow, which I love.

Favorite Features

AWD is great - I never got stuck in the snow with this car.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holder location terrible - a bump will spill your coffee onto the radio.