1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix on 08/10/11 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter. I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

Head Gasket Issues: Subaru 1995-2000
By Noah on 02/21/10 12:37 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru, but if I had known that Subaru made poor quality head gaskets in the late 90s I would have never bought one. $3000 dollars later (@125k miles) I have a new head gasket and clutch and will never again buy a Subaru. My only other issues: The shifter rattles and the cup holder is directly over the CD player. Look into the head gasket issue before you buy!

1999 GT Wagon
By ROB on 10/07/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car!! It makes me feel like I am sixteen again. I look for any reason to go for a ride. It's fun to drive with its great ride. This car is also great on gas, very hot topic today with the high gas prices. Subaru did a great job with this car.

Great wagon!
By briard on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car on ebay and love it. The only thing that bothered me are the rear headrest which created blind spots for me. After pulling over on a couple of angry motorist, I removed the headrest and solved the problem. Also, the engine does like to warm up before it performs at its best.