1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465 on 08/02/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.

Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix on 08/10/11 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter. I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

All of our friends liked THEIR subaru.......
By kentlooney on 03/23/11 12:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

We don't. We have had this vehicle in the shop more than any other vehicle we have ever driven. We have had to have the engine oil seals replaced twice. The clutch release lever went out. We had already replaced the clutch... The air conditioning system went out. Ok, I could go on, but you get the idea. We can't wait to sell our problem child to someone else!

They don't build em like they used to
By Crud on 07/11/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1992 legacy 2.2 with 245K miles, that still works flawlessly. However, I needed a lower mileage vehicle so how could I go wrong with another Suby so I bought a 1999 which now has 101K (I think because the speedometer/odometer is garbage). The 2.2 SOHC changed from a noninterference on my 92, to interference on the 2.2 SOHC 99 (won't get off with just a broken timing belt). No speedometer cable on the 99 only cheap three strand spaghetti wires (way too many). Subaru changed from reliable, to electrically ridden piles of crap, overpriced for the reliability. Love the wagon though. Ford Freestyles are a great AWD wagon alternative,good mpg too :). Sorry Subaru this will be my last one.

Just what I needed
By WJM on 06/11/10 06:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago and have been loving it! It has 129,000 miles on it and it drives great! I went from an Acura RSX to a station wagon, so I obviously didn't buy it for style. I love the way it drives and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing I am disappointed in is the gas-mileage. 21 MPG is pretty bad for a 4-cylinder. The rear latch for the hatch is broken and I can only purchase a new one from the dealer, which will cost me about $180, a total rip-off if you ask me. Not ever wanting a truck, this vehicle is great for home-improvement projects. If this holds up I would buy another one.

Head Gasket Issues: Subaru 1995-2000
By Noah on 02/21/10 12:37 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru, but if I had known that Subaru made poor quality head gaskets in the late 90s I would have never bought one. $3000 dollars later (@125k miles) I have a new head gasket and clutch and will never again buy a Subaru. My only other issues: The shifter rattles and the cup holder is directly over the CD player. Look into the head gasket issue before you buy!

Snow bound in Siberia
By Leadfoot on 12/01/09 08:23 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased prior to transfer to Finland for its 4wd. It's handled great on the ice covered roads of northern Finland with some issues related to brakes wearing out early (Maybe too much salt on the roads). It does suck down the gas but has reliable starting history and only required some minor maintenance on the cooling system to date. It is an oil burner but not such that it needs any additional in the 3,000 mile change intervals that I am using. Found the Fully synt oil burns or runs out faster than the partially synt. Now looking at a new clutch set replacement after 120k. Not bad since it does take a bit of abuse.

Another Subaru Owner
By Jon on 09/18/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Started driving Subaru vehicles in 1985. This is the 4th Subaru in our family (1985 SW, 1986 SW (son), 1999 Brighton SW, 2005 Imprezza SW (wife)). The 1999 Brighton has been a solid car; excellent handing and good in the snow with Michelin all-season tires. Only one mechanical problem -- at 77000 miles, the front viscous coupling failed. Dealer recommended replacement of the clutch at the same time. Hope to replace this car at some point with another Subaru; will probably will opt for a Forester or the cheapest Outback.

Outback CO Front Range
By Joe 8753 on 05/09/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

While it worked, great car for Rocky Mtn winters for ten years. Great traction, stability. Not so great mileage for a 4-cyl engine (maybe 22 mpg average). Inside, not so good -- cup holders block radio, radio reception subpar, seats lost cushioning. Plenty of storage space. Had two major mechanical problems: 1. timing belt broke at 105,200 miles, just 200 miles past scheduled change mileage (needed new engine block, $3000); 2. head gasket blew at 171,000 miles on new engine (sold car for parts for $700). Will not buy another Subaru.