Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

1999 Outback Legacy Wagon
By Elissa Augello

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Unlike many of the reviews, I bought my Outback brand new. It currently has 87k miles on it and has never stranded me anywhere. I change the oil religiously and keep up with the maintenance. When you buy a used car, you never know how the persons) before you have driven or maintained the car. As old as she is, I still enjoy driving her. Too bad the new Outback's do not have manual transmissions. I guest I will have to keep driving her until she blows up.

The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

The leather seats still get hot, the heated washer fluid works wounder is a true lifesaver, and the heated mirrors are quite handy in Pennsylvania winter weather. There are obvious improvements in the stereo system as well with 4 door speakers and 4 tweets. Oh, and of course Subaru AWD!

Cup holders, but that issue has already been addressed!

Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.

Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter. I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

Good in snow. Sun/moon roof, plenty of room, when working properly it runs smooth and quiet, looks cool for a wagon, minimal damage when we hit a full grown deer. Comfortable. A/C & heat work well.

Reliability & durability would be a fantastic start.

All of our friends liked THEIR subaru.......
By kentlooney

1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

We don't. We have had this vehicle in the shop more than any other vehicle we have ever driven. We have had to have the engine oil seals replaced twice. The clutch release lever went out. We had already replaced the clutch... The air conditioning system went out. Ok, I could go on, but you get the idea. We can't wait to sell our problem child to someone else!