Used 1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

Heated seats and mirrors, all-wheel drive, body style, powerful for it's size, decent gas mileage (when it's working properly)

Where do I begin? This car is completely unreliable. I've spent more money repairing it than it is worth, and it still needs thousands of dollars worth in more repairs. Suggested improvement: make a better car. Oh, and the cup holder placement is terrible. Right above the radio, makes no sense.

HUGE Headache
By tke259

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Headgasket quality

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

Head-gasket is in need of major improvement!

LOV E IT
By LOVE IT

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Excellent in the snow, great ABS brakes. I wish like others it would take hills better and have better gas mileage. For years I never had problems except brake pads. Now my shifting isn't right. Never rusted and was outside all the time. I got rear ended and not a scratch on my car. Never had to replace the muffler and the car always started in sub zero temps. Sunroof leaks on the passenger side. Love the visibility and the trunk room is awesome.

AWD, ABS, comfort, visibility, trunk space and low maintenance.

Better brakes- higher clearance.

whichever model it is...good car
By droppabeet

1999 Subaru Legacy Sedan 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

i just bought this 1999 Subaru Legacy L 30th year ann. i had to replace the sunroof right after purchase. dealership paid half. i love this car but it could use more power. on uphills, i feel like i am pushing the engine a bit. the handling is excellent and i love the feel when driving. very smooth ride for a five year old car. plus, this car is holding it's value. i researced and i can sell it for more than i owe to the bank. the AWD is SWEET. good luck and drive fast

AWD, sunroof, stereo, alloy wheels, auto trans, handling

more power, make leather standard, better warranties, stronger trunk lid (feels cheap)