Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sally Subaru #5 And Stuck in the 90s...
By kabuki1

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Sure there are things about Subarus that are truths... if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will. (best to wait to buy one that's been there and done that). At the first signs of bubbled paint on the rear quarter panel, get the strut towers patched - sealed and get rid of the rust... .or quickly watch the rear end rust to pieces. Your rear wheel bearings will fail, plan on it. I'm watching the throat on the gas tank... one day... it's going to go... been there done that too. Otherwise... you've got yourself a sweet ride... Change oil regularly... and you'll be driving your sooby for a long long time.

A great open road car... it's heavy.. drives/tracks true... and has plenty of torque... this thing will run between 3.3-3.5K RPM all day long. Driving position is perfect for a 6'er ... Even if the cup holder is clumsy... I like how it's up and out of the way... The center console armrest is perfectly positioned. (I miss my moonroof on my 95 LS though) And the two map/reading lights in the overhead console... I'm always using them. And the Burgundy and tan accent colors... are nice... The updated windshield spayer nozzles are a big improvement..

See the 2005 design changes.... and the interior changes in the 2014 models.

subarus are legos, cheap to fix
By Markos

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my lgt for a steal, it leaked a lot of oil after 90k miles. I'm rebuilding the engine with all new seals, sti headgaskets and having some port and polish work done to the heads. after that and some basic transmission, brake and differential service the car is solid for hopefully another 100k. I like this car and think its a great fixer upper if you know how to.

That Box May Have a Use
By Unknown Person

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I got this about 6 years ago for my wife. I loved it in 2002. Now, in 2008, 9 years later, boxy doesn't fit my cool image. I love the AWD but the styling sucks. It's a box! I do not like any imitation wood or ugly black plastic. It has some wind noise over 65 mph. I like that the Limited interior for its modern decade features like CD player and heated power leather seats. I wish I could have got the wagon after I got kids, but I changed my mind after I folded down the seats for the first time. Soccer moms come here! Over all it is a great vehicle, but do you and your cosmetic mind a favor: Year 2000 or up Subaru Legacy or Impreza.

Modern features that lasted a decade. All wheel drive. Fold down seats.

Styling makeover. Thigh-support. Wind noise. Small backseat.

SNOW KING
By Jon

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

We've only had this car for a short time, but already we can tell that it is built solidly. This car is unmatched going through snow. It's as good as my '98 Dakota 4x4. We also had two AWD Eagle Talons, and this car beats them in bad weather hands down. But with this being said, you must remember that the Talon's AWD was built for quick cornering and handling, not so much for the snow. The Subaru was made for rough terrain and bad weather. So if you want speed and torque, pass this car up. With only 165 hp what you see is what you get. This is a superior winter car and the heated leather seats are awesome. Plus it holds it's value well and for a sedan it looks pretty darn sporty too.

Cold weather package which includes heated seats, heated lower windshield where the wipers rest and heated mirrors. All wheel drive. Hood scoop and spoiler adds a nice sporty look. Comfortable interior.

Needs a little more power. Lousy cup holder. Hard to get used to the dimmer switch. (You have to push it forward to apply high beams, and pull it back to return to low beams.)

LEMON...legal measures/will/be/taken
By Allison DeWitt

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

In and out of the shop. Warranty is barely up Complained about the need for the latest repair..it magically disappeared today,BUT something more expensive needs work. noisy motor sounds..... finish is not holding up, lots of rattlesWhy didn't I buy a Honda or Jetta?

None

better paint, cup holder, keypads & check on your dealerships,