1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens on 01/16/13 07:42 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

HUGE Headache
By tke259 on 01/20/12 12:06 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259 on 11/13/11 19:14 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

LOV E IT
By LOVE IT on 12/02/06 16:32 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Excellent in the snow, great ABS brakes. I wish like others it would take hills better and have better gas mileage. For years I never had problems except brake pads. Now my shifting isn't right. Never rusted and was outside all the time. I got rear ended and not a scratch on my car. Never had to replace the muffler and the car always started in sub zero temps. Sunroof leaks on the passenger side. Love the visibility and the trunk room is awesome.

whichever model it is...good car
By droppabeet on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

i just bought this 1999 Subaru Legacy L 30th year ann. i had to replace the sunroof right after purchase. dealership paid half. i love this car but it could use more power. on uphills, i feel like i am pushing the engine a bit. the handling is excellent and i love the feel when driving. very smooth ride for a five year old car. plus, this car is holding it's value. i researced and i can sell it for more than i owe to the bank. the AWD is SWEET. good luck and drive fast

Highly Recommended
By luv my subaru on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I live in a rural hilly area. Had BIG problems in the snow with a pickup. Bought my Subaru, and now I offer folks stranded in the ditches with 4x4 pickups a ride into town. Get 22mpg in town, 29mpg cruising at 70 (both with aircon on). Have had zero problems of any sort at 48,000 miles. Local Subaru workshop has been spot-on with what little they've had to do. Sons (8&10) love being seen cruising around in sporty styled car.

Great Car
By EITAK on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car... it is great with the snow and everything i love it!!

California snow car
By Satisfied owner on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

The car has run flawlessly for over 100,000. I've run it in all kinds of conditions--even where Jeeps don't go. It has never broken down and given me any problems other than regular maintenance. Great ski car, love the fold down back seat. Used it to tow a small sailboat as well.