1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Just what I needed
By WJM on 06/11/10 06:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago and have been loving it! It has 129,000 miles on it and it drives great! I went from an Acura RSX to a station wagon, so I obviously didn't buy it for style. I love the way it drives and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing I am disappointed in is the gas-mileage. 21 MPG is pretty bad for a 4-cylinder. The rear latch for the hatch is broken and I can only purchase a new one from the dealer, which will cost me about $180, a total rip-off if you ask me. Not ever wanting a truck, this vehicle is great for home-improvement projects. If this holds up I would buy another one.

Snow bound in Siberia
By Leadfoot on 12/01/09 08:23 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The car was purchased prior to transfer to Finland for its 4wd. It's handled great on the ice covered roads of northern Finland with some issues related to brakes wearing out early (Maybe too much salt on the roads). It does suck down the gas but has reliable starting history and only required some minor maintenance on the cooling system to date. It is an oil burner but not such that it needs any additional in the 3,000 mile change intervals that I am using. Found the Fully synt oil burns or runs out faster than the partially synt. Now looking at a new clutch set replacement after 120k. Not bad since it does take a bit of abuse.

Outback CO Front Range
By Joe 8753 on 05/09/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

While it worked, great car for Rocky Mtn winters for ten years. Great traction, stability. Not so great mileage for a 4-cyl engine (maybe 22 mpg average). Inside, not so good -- cup holders block radio, radio reception subpar, seats lost cushioning. Plenty of storage space. Had two major mechanical problems: 1. timing belt broke at 105,200 miles, just 200 miles past scheduled change mileage (needed new engine block, $3000); 2. head gasket blew at 171,000 miles on new engine (sold car for parts for $700). Will not buy another Subaru.

My only... and LAST Subaru
By senoranash on 02/09/09 15:56 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I call my car "the Subaru from Hell" as I seem to be the only person I know who has had bad luck with Subarus. It was essentially fine until 70,000 miles, and since it's been one thing after another... most expensive. A major oil leak that went to the dealership and 2 other mechanics before it was fixed; tires will not stay inflated - something to do with rims, as tires were replaced, speedometer, air conditioner no longer function, trunk latch, hood latch replaced twice, electrical issues with the radio and int. lights, now the clutch is on its way out, and its again leaking oil. I could go on, but you get the idea. I trade it in this week...YEEHAH! It kicks in the snow, which I love.

I modified mines, no problems!
By tednj on 11/05/08 12:32 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 99 Legacy Outback. The only problem I had was an intermittent speedo. It took me a while but I figured it out. I have a led foot, it has not let me down. I'm impressed with the performance. It has over 140,000! As soon as I bought it I did a tuneup, ignition, engine and transmission etc. You don't know how the previous owner treated an took care of the car. When you buy a used car you have to be aware there are worn parts and eventually you will be replacing them. If your vehicle is smoking don't wait till it cashes fire so you can complain about it.

Outstanding value, build quality
By Austinbirdman on 06/03/08 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1999 Subaru Outback wagon has not had one mechanical problem during 9 years (and counting) of service, with the lone exception of the time my father destroyed the clutch in one day of shiftless driving, which was his fault, not the car's. Additionally, I have been hit twice while driving the car, and it holds up like a champ. In one case, a woman who rear ended me at a stoplight totaled her car, while the Subaru escaped with minor damage in the rear end. A side swipe from another reckless driver who ran a red light dented my side doors, but you can not even see the damage inside the Outback. I trust this car with my life, and more importantly my two kids' lives. Great car.

Hall anything anywhere
By autooracle on 04/20/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket. That was pretty much it. Peppy, great on fuel economy.

Very good AWD car, but...
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Wagon (OBW) in April of 03 with 42k on it. At the time I was unaware of the dreaded head gasket problem! Mine had the AT and the "Rocky Mountain Edition" package which included heated seats, mirrors and wipers. About that: the only seat heater that worked was the driver's side. As near as I can tell the mirror and windshield wiper "heaters" do absolutely nothing. Either that or mine were broken. Lots of fun to drive, especially on dirt roads - it's fun to play rally racer in this car! Ground clearance is better than average at about 7.5" but this is not an off-roader. Mud can get packed into the driveshaft tunnel. Has a lot of capacity. Good car for the money.

Not Recommended
By Ln on 11/22/06 22:10 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Several people complain about needing a head gasket. When mine blew, 1000 miles beyond warranty and without warning, I had to replace the entire engine. It sounds as if Subaru should have sent a warning to owners, but they are the least helpful manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. Their dealers are equally unresponsive, and I have yet to find one in our area that I would ever deal with again.

Subaru is not always a reliable car
By clemchan on 01/09/06 23:50 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1999 Outback wagon. Ever since it reached 65K miles, I have nothing but problems. First was the alternator, then the coil, last week was the blinker and this week is the thermostat.