1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Sally Subaru #5 And Stuck in the 90s...
By kabuki1 on 03/07/13 21:13 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Sure there are things about Subarus that are truths... if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will. (best to wait to buy one that's been there and done that). At the first signs of bubbled paint on the rear quarter panel, get the strut towers patched - sealed and get rid of the rust... .or quickly watch the rear end rust to pieces. Your rear wheel bearings will fail, plan on it. I'm watching the throat on the gas tank... one day... it's going to go... been there done that too. Otherwise... you've got yourself a sweet ride... Change oil regularly... and you'll be driving your sooby for a long long time.

The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei on 02/05/13 03:23 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens on 01/16/13 07:42 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465 on 08/02/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.

HUGE Headache
By tke259 on 01/20/12 12:06 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has a nice design but is very unreliable. My car has about 71,000 miles and I had to drop $2900 on it to get the headgasket, water pump, timing belt, battery, and starter replaced. Now, the transmission is on its way out which will cost me about another $2000. This car is in the shop more than on the road... major disappointment.

Beware of the headgasket
By josh259 on 11/13/11 19:14 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

When I bought my 1999 Subaru (with only 70,000 miles) all my friends talked about how reliable they are and how great they are in the snow. But no one mentioned the common headgasket problem. Subarus are infamous for their head gasket problems in the 2.5L engines. My car was fine for the first week or so after buying it. Then it started overheating and I had to regularly add coolant even though there were no leaks. After investigating, I've determined it is the headgasket. This will cost me a minimum of $1,000. If you find that you are losing coolant through your coolant reserve tank, chances are exhaust it building up pressure in your radiator causing the coolant to back up into the reserve

Sweet looking money pit...terribly disappointed with this completely unreliable vehicle
By wearyphoenix on 08/10/11 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

1st Subaru. Worst (supposed to be the nicest) car I've ever had. Got it used from a dealer w/80,000 miles. Only put on 30,000 in 6 yrs, but its required thousands $$$ in repairs. Problems, big & small started immediately & never stopped. Bad tie rod ends, rack boot, steering gear, thermostat, water pump, timing belt, rattling, squealing, smoking, losing power while driving, light out in clock, windshield & sunroof leaks, CD player useless, hatch stuck, passenger window falls out of track, repeatedly corroding battery terminals & whatever else I'm forgetting. Now catalytic converter. I expected more from a Subaru. Next time I'll definitely do my homework about a specific model before buying!

All of our friends liked THEIR subaru.......
By kentlooney on 03/23/11 12:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

We don't. We have had this vehicle in the shop more than any other vehicle we have ever driven. We have had to have the engine oil seals replaced twice. The clutch release lever went out. We had already replaced the clutch... The air conditioning system went out. Ok, I could go on, but you get the idea. We can't wait to sell our problem child to someone else!

They don't build em like they used to
By Crud on 07/11/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1992 legacy 2.2 with 245K miles, that still works flawlessly. However, I needed a lower mileage vehicle so how could I go wrong with another Suby so I bought a 1999 which now has 101K (I think because the speedometer/odometer is garbage). The 2.2 SOHC changed from a noninterference on my 92, to interference on the 2.2 SOHC 99 (won't get off with just a broken timing belt). No speedometer cable on the 99 only cheap three strand spaghetti wires (way too many). Subaru changed from reliable, to electrically ridden piles of crap, overpriced for the reliability. Love the wagon though. Ford Freestyles are a great AWD wagon alternative,good mpg too :). Sorry Subaru this will be my last one.

My first Subaru
By tomison61 on 06/21/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

My cousins have talked about these cars for years! I did not believe them at first, I needed a used car that was good on gas, I found this one, it needed brakes, a front wheel bearing and 1 tire, I bought it for $1300.00 and did the work needed, Well let me tell you after I drove it I fell in love with it, goes any where, gas mileage after a tune up is 39 highway, This is awesome,