Used 1999 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

1999 Outback Legacy Wagon
By Elissa Augello

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Unlike many of the reviews, I bought my Outback brand new. It currently has 87k miles on it and has never stranded me anywhere. I change the oil religiously and keep up with the maintenance. When you buy a used car, you never know how the persons) before you have driven or maintained the car. As old as she is, I still enjoy driving her. Too bad the new Outback's do not have manual transmissions. I guest I will have to keep driving her until she blows up.

Sally Subaru #5 And Stuck in the 90s...
By kabuki1

1999 Subaru Legacy Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Sure there are things about Subarus that are truths... if it's a 2.5 and yours hasn't blown a head gasket... it will. (best to wait to buy one that's been there and done that). At the first signs of bubbled paint on the rear quarter panel, get the strut towers patched - sealed and get rid of the rust... .or quickly watch the rear end rust to pieces. Your rear wheel bearings will fail, plan on it. I'm watching the throat on the gas tank... one day... it's going to go... been there done that too. Otherwise... you've got yourself a sweet ride... Change oil regularly... and you'll be driving your sooby for a long long time.

A great open road car... it's heavy.. drives/tracks true... and has plenty of torque... this thing will run between 3.3-3.5K RPM all day long. Driving position is perfect for a 6'er ... Even if the cup holder is clumsy... I like how it's up and out of the way... The center console armrest is perfectly positioned. (I miss my moonroof on my 95 LS though) And the two map/reading lights in the overhead console... I'm always using them. And the Burgundy and tan accent colors... are nice... The updated windshield spayer nozzles are a big improvement..

See the 2005 design changes.... and the interior changes in the 2014 models.

The Overlooked Gem
By r_berkhei

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 30th Anniversary 4dr Wagon AWD

We have now had three Subaru Legacy/Outback wagons. We purchased our first Limited about a year ago with 155k on the clock. This car amazes me even more than the other 2 ever have. This 14 year old car performs perfectly. All the "luxury" features work flawlessly. It cruses around corners and along highways like a BMW. Take it down a dirt road and you'll fall in love. Whenever it snows, I know I am going to get where I need to go without a doubt. These cars are incredibly safe and not one function was overlooked by Subaru. Truly a quality, do-it-all luxury wagon! Only wish it had the dual sunroof..

The leather seats still get hot, the heated washer fluid works wounder is a true lifesaver, and the heated mirrors are quite handy in Pennsylvania winter weather. There are obvious improvements in the stereo system as well with 4 door speakers and 4 tweets. Oh, and of course Subaru AWD!

Cup holders, but that issue has already been addressed!

Ugh. Never again.
By bberrens

1999 Subaru Legacy 30th Anniversary 4dr Sedan AWD

Owning my 1999 Subaru SUS has been a nightmare. I bought it used with around 100,000 miles on it. Mechanic checked it out said it was in good condition, all it needed was a new timing belt (standard maintenance for Subarus at that mileage). Ok, I could deal with that. A few months later, the problems really began. I can't even remember what the first repair was, but it cost $600. Later on, my rear U-joint was bad, but on a Subaru you have to fix the whole drive shaft. That was another $350. Then the front right wheel bearing - another $600. This is all within one year of ownership. I don't drive like a jerk. My friends call me a granny driver, so it's not like I'm beating the car up. UGH!

Heated seats and mirrors, all-wheel drive, body style, powerful for it's size, decent gas mileage (when it's working properly)

Where do I begin? This car is completely unreliable. I've spent more money repairing it than it is worth, and it still needs thousands of dollars worth in more repairs. Suggested improvement: make a better car. Oh, and the cup holder placement is terrible. Right above the radio, makes no sense.

Not sporty at all but great car!
By kyle3465

1999 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my very first car, and for my first car I am very pleased with it. All wheel drive is awesome to have in virtually any road conditions. The car currently has 129k and is running strong. I have no mechanical problems with car. The only thing that bothered my about this car was that the hear shields have the tendency to rattle which is repairable by anyone with metal zip clamps. I also don't like the cup holders... worst design ever! Like I stated in the title its not very fast at all especially on hills. It is a good reliable car though.