saved many trucks from the snowbanks...
By brucifer on
1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD
This past winter we had record snowfalls in the northeast and I've never had more fun drifting the subie around in the drifts. At one point we were tearing it up in 18 inches looking for deeper drifts just to see if we "could" get it stuck. We eventually succeeded when we fell into the valley of a hill and we were up to our windows. In general though the car is great at 131,000 it's still chugging along fine. I had to repace the clutch after my friend thought he could drive a manual.... but so far I've gone trough two sets of tires and the car corners surprisingly well for all the ground clearance. The interior is kinda sucky but hey for the price nothing else can offroad at 24mpg.
Favorite Features
-More ground clearance than an explorer. -The 2.5 isn't a beast but enough to get through heavy snow and go pretty fast. -Having fun passing everyone else when its snowing (AWD system is superb) -30mpg highway -Good AC and Heat after 12+ years -Not many repairs other than the occasional parts that brake. Engine is healthy. Some rust on the manifold.
Suggested Improvements
Headers blow a lot (hasn't happened to me yet) and the interior definitely could be a little nicer.