Not bad after 8 years
By Jim on
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD
I bought this car new with fewer than 50 miles on it. It now has 177,000. I have had a few minor problems (oil leaks mainly) but so far nothing really major. The original set of tires got nearly 90K miles, I'm still on the original brake rotors, (but it's time for new ones) and third set of tires. In short, it has been a good reliable car. Not fancy, but dependable. I have a few rattles, but nothing major. Some of the dash lights are out. The car still gets 28MPG on the hwy and about 22 in the city. I'll probably buy another one soon. I may get the H6 instead of the 4, but the 4 is more than adequate for the way I drive it.
Favorite Features
Heated seats, weather band on the radio, good quality stereo, lots of room inside. AWD is great (I once pulled a full-size dually P/U truck out of the snow with it).
Suggested Improvements
Cup holder location is the pits, driving position is a little uncomfortable on long trips because there's no place to rest your arms and comfortably reach the wheel (center arm rest is too far back and door handle is too low to rest elbow while driving). Front and rear main seals and cam seals leak.