1998 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Extremely Versatile

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Brighton Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Extremely Versatile
By outdoorsy24 on

1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru OUtback (automatic) with 214,000 and quickly put on another 10k in 6 months. I took it camping, [light] off-roading, and driving cross country. it worked great from Wisconsin to Utah to California. It does need a little more pep from the engine, but for what I needed it was the perfect mix of reliability, space, and economy. I was getting around 23 MPG per tank, I got through the snow and up mountains with no problems. I was able to move all the stuff needed for 2 college students cross country with no problem. It did more off road than I would have expected, be sure to check the head gasket before buying.

All Wheel Drive all the time Heated Seats, wipers, mirrors Weather band radio lots of room decent ground clearance Height adjustable driver's seat.

More useful position for cupholders. More power in the engine or another gear in the transmission. More accessible spark plugs. More legroom for all passengers.