1998 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Dad was right:

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Brighton Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Dad was right:
By dryver on

1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

As the years go by, I've been consistently impressed with the reliability of my Outback, and once I discovered the difference a K&N air filter made to that mildly anemic 2.5l engine, it's been alot of fun to drive, too. The only reason I'm thinking of selling is because I continually read about the head gasket problems so many owners have had (but none on mine, so far.) The interior has stood up very well (leather still looks great, with minimal fuss)and everything still works the way it did when I bought it new. In rain and snow (esp. wet snow on icy roads, which we get near the west coast) it's performance is just stellar. AWD and ABS are the best.

The thick protective plastic cap on the top of the rear bumper. The weatherband radio (sadly, discontinued in 2005.) Dual moonroofs. Contrasting colour on lower body panels. Cargo tray. 4- channel ABS. Ground clearance when the snow is deep.

Window glass needs darker tint as standard (plus privacy glass option.) Subaru's paint quality is poor across the product line. 98 Outback's Climate control(ie.AC and blower fan)is poor. There's a bit too much cheap plastic used in the interior. Needs climate control into the back.