1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
A Great Car
By Heffeln on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a great car. This was the car my parents gave to me during college. It was sporty enough to be cool, but practical enough on the wallet (great gas mileage). I could fit 5 of my friends plus all the stuff needed for a tailgater! Great highway car, quick passing ability, for the average driver. Great steering. Awesome audio system (6 speaker CD/fm/tape) some of the weather stripping became weak, which allowed a bit too much wind noise to enter the car, but not enough to cause significant issues. Overall, a great car...I plan on buying a new one soon.

Reliable and Comfortable
By Genericman on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

85k in five years with minimal problems - replaced rear axle clutch plates last year, and some A/C and button lights have been out for years (expensive to replace). Handles lovely on curvy roads, although a few more horses would be nice; perfect suspension balance between handling and comfort. Extremely comfortable. Never been in a better snow (or other inclement weather) vehicle. Piston slap is normal and disconcerting, but three dealer mechanics have told me it does not cause problems.

Love My GT!
By fastdriver on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been a wonderful car to drive! It handles tightly, feels more powerful than its 165 HP, and drives the mountain like a snowplow. Unfortunately, it's on its second alternator now... a real trouble spot! Otherwise, it has given me no problems, and with a little babying (I admit it!), still looks and acts like a new car after 100K mi of hard driving!

Buyer Beware!
By T.W. on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Took it to the dealership near my house and they had no idea what was wrong. They threw about $900 in parts at it, told me they had no idea what was wrong. Took it to a second dealership, threw $600 in parts at it before determining that the wrist pin #4 was bad. At the time it happened there were three other people on a Subaru site with sameproblem. Look up piston slap. Subaru claims that it doesn't hurt the engines. I'm not so sure. A wobbly piston would tend to wear out a writst pin. Coincidence? Subaru offered me absolutely no help or support throughout the ordeal. Cost me $6000 to fix and took them over 4 months.

Love My Car
By Profswife1998 on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned a 91 Subaru, sold it to my sister and bought my Outback. My old one is still running strong with over 220,000 miles on it. The cup holders in the front and back are kinda cheap and could have been placed better. I wish subaru would come out with a mini-van quick, because my family is growing and I need a mini-van, but do not want to part with my Subie. If It comes to that, I will definately buy a brand new Subaru when my kids are grown. Love My Beautiful Subaru.

1998 Subaru 2.5 GT Wagon
By Cameron Boothe on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Fully equiped car, great cargo room and versatility. Excellent handling especially in rain & snow. Visibilty and drivability excellent. Slugish acceleration and poor gas mileage. Average 21 mpg but w/ AWD..... Possible engine leak (minor) which drips on exhaust causing burning smell Various backlights on dash radio & controls have gone out-Annoying 94,000 miles w/ only brakes and oil changes.

Good Car
By Subaru Man on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. Once you drive a Subaru with AWD there is no going back.

98 Outaback Wagon
By wengr18707 on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The Subaru has a nice quiet smooth ride and handles quite well around curves. I have gotten good gas mileage up to 30 on a trip in the summer and about 26 locally in the summer, the mileage drops alot in the winter to about 22 locally. I had the dealer change both the front main and rear main seals under warranty. Only because the were dripping slighly. Also the heater selecter switch light burned out and they repalced that. My main only concern is the noisy engine it runs fine but is really noisy at cold starts then gets a little quiter when warm. I like the room and utility use of this vehicle and I just turn up the sterio to overcome the engine noise.

Would buy again
By Harleygirl on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved this car until recently. At 98,000 out of nowhere we had a cracked cylinder. Still no idea why! We were far from home and made a mistake. We didn't take it to a Subaru dealer immediately. We had a "friend" put a used engine in it. Problems ever since. I looking for a new car. I am thinking SUV but have not eliminated another Outback. It goes anywhere and through everything. Just bad luck!

98 GT LTD
By WScottCross on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the best perfoming car I have owned and the AWD makes it that much better for use in New England