Used 1998 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

98 Subaru Outback 5 speed manual
By John

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Pros: unbelievable in the snow. 2.5 boxer engine: great low end torque, decent fuel economy, good performance for a 4 cylinder. Handles very well. Excellent roof rack. Easy to change the oil. Cons: piston slap: dealer replaced pistons under warrantee. Alternator went and was also replaced under recall. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder and hose. Good car, but watch out for blown head gaskets (although this didn't happen to me).

6 year review
By etad52

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used. 3 years old and 34000 miles. Avg hwy 27mpg. 2 problems, exhaust heat shield weld broke and rattles and like previous posts, head gasket gone at 95k. Was losing a third of my anti-freeze. Yet couldn't find out where it was going. Not on the ground or in the oil??? Other than that mechanic said engine is good, Cylinder pressure test 155-160. Leakage 2%. Except for the engine repair this car has served me well. I have done several 20 hour road trips at 75 mph. Including a DEN-IND-DEN run during the blizzard in Dec 06. Must have picked up a few hundred pounds of ice yet the car was stable and predictable. MPG dropped to 21 hwy.

Heated seats/mirrors and wipers. AWD. Lots of room.

Engine reliability. Seats need more padding. Better cup holders. Exhaust heat shield to avoid rattles.

Expected better
By Stoney

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Was expecting "great," but only got "average." Two oil leaks - one at 15K and another at 95K miles. This car seems to run best when used primarily on the highway - lots of city driving adversely affects engine performance for some reason. Driver seat padding is not firm enough and wears thin after 2+ hours of sitting/driving. AWD works very well and mileage is pretty good at 21/29.

AWD. Cargo capacity is pretty good.

Better dash design and cupholder location. Oil leaks too frequent.

This car has amazed me
By RC

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I had to give this car 10's regardless. This has been the best car I've owned I have over 240,000 on mine and I have never had any major mechanical problems This was my 1st Subaru. I have had now 7 and I can't justify getting rid of this one - it keeps going and going lol. I can still put the petal to the metal and It doesn't mind any of the continued driving. I do drive and use the car hard but I have made sure I maintained this car perfectly, every 3000 an oil change which at times ranged ever 3 weeks. I don't really know how I will ever get rid of it. We currently have an 06 Tribeca and 06 Legacy so now this baby gets more rest than it used to. Go Subie!

AWD, heated seats, reliability, it makes me happy to drive it.

Find a way to ever part with it. LOL just kidding.

190,000 miles
By charlie

1998 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a great car. I have 190,000 miles on it. It has fewer rattles than a 2004 Toyota Sienna LXE I bought new that I traded for another new car. I tow a utility trailer and small craft trailer with it. Breaks, tires and belts and a tune up at 100,000 miles, second timing belt at 175,000. Very few problems ever - dash lights burnt out had them replaced. Some engine noise before warm up. Unbeatable in snow and ice. We get a lot of both here in northwestern Connecticut. You sit a little low but that's acceptable. Perhaps next year I will get another. Hope to keep this past 200,000 for winter driving and towing. My daily driver is now a 2006 Honda Accord - sill like the Subaru better I think!

Good visibility. Unbeatable on icy roads. Very durable. Can tow 2,000 lbs or less. Has character. Fun on dirt roads. Great road hugging on wet and dry roads too. Super practical.

Slightly higher front seats and a little more padding. All in all pretty darn good as is thank you!