Used 1998 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Watch the Head Gasket
By jimbo

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Brakes go bad very fast, probably rotors are not big enough for the car, the 2.5 Ltr engine is a bored out 2.0 engine and I think that is the reason for damaged head gaskets. Check for compression regularly, and change the oil as well as keep some antifreeze on hand. People do get 250,000 miles out of these, although Subaru made their mark with the slightly smaller engine.

Favorite Features

Go anywhere at any time, snow means nothing

Suggested Improvements

Suubaru should have offered a special deal on the head gasket or figured out a fix - I think the rotors should be made bigger, and possibly the cooling system made bigger.

Great car
By Kayaker

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had my 1998 Subaru Outback for almost 10 years and 235,000 miles. It has been an excellent, dependable car. I have just been rear-ended for the 3rd time. I am afraid the insurance company will total it. I enjoyed this car because it was very dependable (it never broke down on me), good gas mileage (over 25 mpg), four wheel drive, and carrying space. My only complaint is the front seats were not very comfortable for long trips.

Outback Ltd
By rater1

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is still mistaken for a newer car by friends, it is still solid and rides like new. Minimal problems in the last nine years. It has been 100% reliable, never any major problems. Goes through any snow or mud with ease. ABS system works great. Would buy another one and will. 139,000 miles so far.

Favorite Features

AWD, sunroofs, cargo net and tray, smooth engine, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More hp, which has been rectified, and better gas mileage, which is a challenge, I know.

Good all around vehicle for Adirondacks
By Valentinecat

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

4WD is outstanding in poor weather. Inexpensive maintenance problems. Security system has a mind of its own! Goes off for unexplained reasons.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, lots of space for groceries, etc. Good gas mileage (25 mpg avg.). Exterior did not rust!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders!

Best of 4 Subaru wagons I've owned
By Rich

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Holds a lot of stuff. Has never broken down on the road. I always feel confident driving it.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive; two sunroofs; heated seats; easy to change rear bulbs; great heater.

Suggested Improvements

At the time the car came with one cup holder, really crummy, flimsy and unusable. Subaru has since corrected this flaw.