1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Not all that is cracked up to be
By sholden on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Beware of this vehicle as I have blown a head gaskette, two tappet cover gaskets, a heater core, a radiator and a lot of other small parts. I wish my extended warranty would have lasted a little bit longer as I have dumped a ton of money into this vehicle. I would never buy another Subaru in the future.

Great Car To Drive!
By StiFlyBy on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had this car for about 5 months now and its by far the best car i've ever driven! its fun to drive and i never have to worry about having problems with it. always a reliable car that i'd sugest to anyone!

Great all-weather sports sedan
By 98GTLimited on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This 1998 model year car had 36,000 miles when I purchased it in 2001 and I saved about $11,000 off the new price. Buying used, it was a very affordable, excellent handling sports sedan that is very capable in the snowy winters of New England. The 165hp 2.5L engine provides engough power to beat the traffic light rush from 4 lanes to 2 in some Boston intersections though it's nothing compared to the turbo rush of the WRX. The reliability problems I have had include several oil leaks from the crankshaft seal (40,000 miles, $400, covered by warranty) and the oil sending unit (75,000 miles, $150).

Major engine problems at 70k
By m202spot on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I am a liyal Subura owner. I purchase my father's 90' Legacy and sold it with over 200k miles. I then purchased my friends mother's 1998 Outback Limited with 20k miles on it. A67k miles I had major head gasket problems resulting in $1,700. worth of repairs. After investigating this I have come across this is a very common problem. Waiting on subura to reply to my complaint letter

Impending Doom of Head Gasket Failure
By Angry Goose on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased '98 Outback with 71k miles, owned for just over 1 year. At 80,312 miles head gasket failed at 4th cylinder. Warped heads, burnt one exhaust valve, total cost $1900. Repaired by independent trust-worthy mechanic, he repairs 12/year atleast. Subaru is aware of this problem and has started a "campagn" that includes a coolant additive to any of the '99 or newer engines. Very common problems in all 2.5's. Absolutely loved the car when first bought, it was well maintained by myself and prev. owner. Now the car runs differently and has lost much of it's soul. Don't trust Subaru or its dealerships.

Beware of the horizontal time bomb
By Timberwolf530 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

At 80,000 mi. My GT started to run rough. I took it to Tom Wood.They threw about $1000 in parts at it, but could not fix it. Took it to a different dealer and they told me one of my pistons was bad (wrist pin) and it cost more to replace one than to install a new engine. $6000, 2 mos later it was back , but never did run right again. Neither the dealer or Subaru seemed to care what happened. Subaru has nice looking fun to drive cars, but dealer and coporate support is terrible.What disappointed me the most was that I loved Subarus before this happened. We also owned a '99 Outback. After this happend, we traded both cars and have sworn off Subarus for good.

Buyer beware of black
By hilow on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a black GT Limited Legacy from a used car dealership in NH. First mistake. Leather, sunroof, 40,000 miles. I wish I never bought this car. After spending 1,000 to have a cylinder rebuilt, I ended up right back at the dealership! Another 250 on sparkplugs and wires, I don't think so. I just traded it in for a Jetta 1.8T, (which I love)Be aware someone will try and sell it to you soon!

Subaru Legacy GT
By connie simunovic on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car rides nice and is very comfortable. it's awesome in the snow!

Great value for the money
By bmwrest on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

As a family of four with two dogs...this vehicle does it all! It handles Michigan pot-holes, icy road, and highways flawlessly. Why buy an SUV that's too top heavy, a gas guzzler, higher taxes (registrations are outrageous), insurance, etc.???? Second Subaru owned...first one was sold for $2,000 AFTER near 200,000 miles!

i998 Subaru Legacy
By bbs53 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have 2 of these cars. One has an automatic, the other a 5 speed. The 5 speed car has 165,500 miles with no major failures. I live in snow country and it is a great car for the snow. It is extremely economical to operate and has held up rather well. Would I recommend a Subaru? You bet. If you want a mid to lower priced 4wd car that is built like a tank, then this is your ride. It has all the creature comforts you could ask for. A+++++++