1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
disappointment
By mgj on 05/03/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Major transmission problems at 92,000 and 122,000 miles. Need engine valves, power steering valve and CV boot replaced now for more money.

GT Wagon - 5 speed
By RSamide on 04/27/05 17:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first Subaru. Bought it for wagon versatility, reliability, sporty, value, Honda doesn't have wagon, and AWD was a bonus here in MN. Car has 104,000 miles. It has delivered adequately in all categories but reliability has been below my previous Hondas and Acuras. Beware of dealership performance. It has been horrendous with multiple return trips after expensive head gasket replacement. Problems started after dealer repairs. MPG 22-25.

Won't be back for a second one...
By badger on 03/30/05 11:19 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our Subaru for dependable, all season driving. It is a bit underpowered, but it wasn't billed as a high performance car. Had to replace front oil seal, both valve cover gaskets and now the head gasket has internal leak that HAS to be repaired--$3000 estimate. At 125,000 miles, we expected better reliability. Looks like this is a known problem that Subaru isn't willing to deal with. Too bad. I really liked the car other than that and had planned on another when my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee had to be replaced.

Last Subaru I'll ever buy!
By Oliver on 03/21/05 14:41 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 3rd Subie and will be my last. Subaru has known about the head gasket problems plaguing the 97' thru 01's for a long time and they aren't doing anything to help their loyal customers out. Cost me over $2,400! to get it back on the road again. They blow at around 90,000 miles.

Beware
By Roger on 03/15/05 10:14 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback new in 1998 and enjoyed it for the first 95K miles. It was reliable and handled Minnesota winters. The first repairs were at 92K when the brake pads, rotors, and clutch cylinders were replaced. That was a good track record. Now the head gasket is blown at 95K, and I don't yet know whether there is engine damage. Unlike the Phase II engines, Subaru has no extended warranty on these head gaskets. This failure should not have happened so soon on a well maintained car.

Great Kid Car
By Bozenuts on 01/16/05 10:43 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

My parents got a new '05 Outback LTD, I had choice of driving the '02 Malibu i had for about a year or taking my Mom's old '98 Outback Ltd. I chose the Outback. I wanted the AWD and versitility of a station wagon. It's a great car for anyone. It has power when you really punch it, but not too much in normal driving. Handles well in ice. In the NW, had an ice strom yesterday. Coming around a corner before my turn and a truck coming the other way...SIDEWAYS. Handled well with ice, punching it and quick movement, only thing major was heavy idle, which dealer fixed. Rear hatch's hydrolic arms are loosing its umph, need to replace. Drivers seatbelt started to dethread, fixed.

the best new old car
By eric on 12/24/04 23:30 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

i got the car from my aunt with 60000 miles and it has given me no problems. i love the sportyness of the car for a 98. it handles very well and with all wheel drive it can go about anywhere.

Perfect for Canadian winters
By davidscott on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Canada: I owned this vehicle for 4 years and 80,000kms. It was the perfect car for a small family and was truly capable in winter with some Nokian Hakka snow tires. Had to have the clutch replaced 3 times under warranty, and the short block replaced twice under warranty. A bit underpowered for my taste though. Despite these, I would definitely buy another Subaru in the future.

Great family wagon
By Duke_jw on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used in April of 2001. Was impressed by the solid feel and obvious quality of this car. Has many features, ABS, AWD, strong enough 2.5 litre engine, killer upgraded stereo, heated leather seats, lots of room in back, dual moon roofs. Will carry bicycles inside with back seats down, very stable and great steering.

Dad was right:
By dryver on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

As the years go by, I've been consistently impressed with the reliability of my Outback, and once I discovered the difference a K&N air filter made to that mildly anemic 2.5l engine, it's been alot of fun to drive, too. The only reason I'm thinking of selling is because I continually read about the head gasket problems so many owners have had (but none on mine, so far.) The interior has stood up very well (leather still looks great, with minimal fuss)and everything still works the way it did when I bought it new. In rain and snow (esp. wet snow on icy roads, which we get near the west coast) it's performance is just stellar. AWD and ABS are the best.