Used 1998 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

It was Ok
By Josh

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

After I totaled my first car my grandma gave me her old Subaru; she loved the car it was easy for her to drive and she had trouble parting with it. I drove the car a year and totaled it as well, I was only going 10 mph when I rear ended a Jeep Cherokee, afterward I got the car fixed, and it was driving pretty good, I drove from Va, to NY and back in 2 days with no problems, now the car is in the shop an they think the head gasket has blown, I think ill be buying and Audi next.

I loved the all wheel drive, we had a bad ice storm and while other people were in ditches, my outback was gripping the 2 inchs of ice.

Cup holders are awful, and the head gasket problem which I'm surprised to have read about, also the car was not built heavy enough for crashes, yet it accelerates like a huge older car.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

All wheel drive! Literally passing trucks and jeeps in the ditch in two feet of snow! (Do have a separate set of rims with winter tires if you live in a very harsh "Canadian" winter climate.)

Fuel economy is only "fair". Cup holder is a little "iffy", so you have to watch that your drink isn't leaking as it will go right into your stereo system's deck!

Time to Go
By Voiceover

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

It's time for this car to go. It has been a daily driver and true workhorse for 10 years, mostly for commuting to work. Long trips were agonizing - serious lack of power with the 4-cylinder engine and the vague handling did not inspire confidence. Rust is abundant due to the application of plastic on the underbody rather than paint. On the plus side, we really did not put much money into this car for repairs so I would place reliability at the top of the food chain. Interior design left much to be desired with the cup holder blocking the heater, radio/CD/tape and clock. Back seat folding was an incredible nuisance to the point of where we didn't bother. Overall, we got our $worth.

Leather seats, security panel in the rear, weather- band radio, heated seats

Move the cup holder (I believe that was already done in newer models), more power, better ride.

Still Chugging too
By nhwiki

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it used 8 years ago. Doing regular maint, it has been 100% reliable. With snow tires, it just goes and goes in New Hampshire winters - even on unplowed roads and driveways with 18 inches of snow, it can't be stopped. Not the most comfortable of cars (we have two other cars for long distance trips), but when the snow starts falling or we're headed skiing, it's always the Subie we take out. Best 11k I've ever spent.

AWD in the snow. Forget the Cherokees and other SUVs we often see in ditches off 93 or 89 or 95. It is great in the snow.

Better seats, preferably heated.

Subarus are solid, well-built & strong!
By Kyle

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subarus are well-known cars for their reliability and durability, esp in weather conditions like the Northeast. So I bought one and don't ever regret it. Change the oil every 3k and general maintenance and you can log 200k+ miles on these machines. As other posts have mentioned, it does like to leak oil, so have them check for leaks during oil changes. But parts are cheap and mechanics love working on Subaru's because they are easy, albeit, when you need them to. They will rarely leave you stranded!!! Goes right through the snow and rain, the engine is quite peppy for a 4 cyl and good on gas and can run just fine on 89. Your overall cost owning a Subaru is one of the best.

Cargo/rear folding seats, AWD, roof rack, fog lights, over-all design. Nice acceleration, sporty handling and durability.

Better seats. Improve console design, more sunroofs as standard feature. I wish the alloy rims didn't get corroded as easy.