1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Not all that is cracked up to be
By sholden on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Beware of this vehicle as I have blown a head gaskette, two tappet cover gaskets, a heater core, a radiator and a lot of other small parts. I wish my extended warranty would have lasted a little bit longer as I have dumped a ton of money into this vehicle. I would never buy another Subaru in the future.

Great value for the money
By bmwrest on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

As a family of four with two dogs...this vehicle does it all! It handles Michigan pot-holes, icy road, and highways flawlessly. Why buy an SUV that's too top heavy, a gas guzzler, higher taxes (registrations are outrageous), insurance, etc.???? Second Subaru owned...first one was sold for $2,000 AFTER near 200,000 miles!

A Great Car
By Heffeln on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a great car. This was the car my parents gave to me during college. It was sporty enough to be cool, but practical enough on the wallet (great gas mileage). I could fit 5 of my friends plus all the stuff needed for a tailgater! Great highway car, quick passing ability, for the average driver. Great steering. Awesome audio system (6 speaker CD/fm/tape) some of the weather stripping became weak, which allowed a bit too much wind noise to enter the car, but not enough to cause significant issues. Overall, a great car...I plan on buying a new one soon.

98 Outaback Wagon
By wengr18707 on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The Subaru has a nice quiet smooth ride and handles quite well around curves. I have gotten good gas mileage up to 30 on a trip in the summer and about 26 locally in the summer, the mileage drops alot in the winter to about 22 locally. I had the dealer change both the front main and rear main seals under warranty. Only because the were dripping slighly. Also the heater selecter switch light burned out and they repalced that. My main only concern is the noisy engine it runs fine but is really noisy at cold starts then gets a little quiter when warm. I like the room and utility use of this vehicle and I just turn up the sterio to overcome the engine noise.

Would buy again
By Harleygirl on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved this car until recently. At 98,000 out of nowhere we had a cracked cylinder. Still no idea why! We were far from home and made a mistake. We didn't take it to a Subaru dealer immediately. We had a "friend" put a used engine in it. Problems ever since. I looking for a new car. I am thinking SUV but have not eliminated another Outback. It goes anywhere and through everything. Just bad luck!

28yrs Suby Pride
By JPDiddy on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this Outtie 4yrs ago in college, reliable ever since. Averaged 25+mpg on fuels, comfortable ride, ample cargo room. Accessorize with a decent CD player and you're set. Acceleration weak at times, esp over the mtns. Bigger engine/HP desirable, but this 98 does the job. Has held resale value nicely, which bodes well for the trade- in type. Maintenance also remains low. Did break speedometer and sensor however (67K)

poor man's Audi
By canuck on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Have had this car from new with no major problems only routine maintenance. A very reliable car and great in snow and rain especially with real snow tires mounted to spare rims. Could use a little more power but with the 5 speed a quick downshift brings you back into the power band. Expect to get many more years out of it and appreciate the reliability and build quality. A poor man's Audi A4 but with more room and affordable repairs and parts. Good, not great, handling and very comfortable on a recent cross country trip(4K miles in a month)

GREAT CAR
By BHERM on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought the car so we could travel when it snowed. I was pleased with its all around performance. It rides great and there is plenty of room in the back for the kids and luggage. The dog comes along to! It gives a very comfortable ride and had not given me one bit of problem over the past 4 years.

A Car With Heart
By Levendis on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Pros: This car handles mountain roads which only barely meet the definition of a road and does so with a smile. Rain doesn't faze it, and it's taken me through a foot of fresh snow or over ice without a slip. Subaru has heart, and it's got the guts of a mule. What's more, it's a comfortable car to drive. And although the phoney hoodscoop looks pretentious, the overall styling is attractive and functional. Cons: cup holder location could be worse, but I'm not sure how.