1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
A wolf in sheep's clothing...
By Dutch Mafioso on 07/01/05 11:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Driving this car is a pure pleasure. It holds the road like flypaper and corners better than my buddy's Acura Integra GS-R. Acceleration is adequate, and I actually wouldn't want more power, as that would translate into worse gas mileage. The styling of this vehicle is just right for those who want a sedan with a little attitude, but who don't want to call unwanted attention (and thus, speeding tickets) to themselves. There is a generous trunk and comfort for four or five passengers. I feel incredibly comfortable driving this car!

the best new old car
By eric on 12/24/04 23:30 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

i got the car from my aunt with 60000 miles and it has given me no problems. i love the sportyness of the car for a 98. it handles very well and with all wheel drive it can go about anywhere.

Great Car To Drive!
By StiFlyBy on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had this car for about 5 months now and its by far the best car i've ever driven! its fun to drive and i never have to worry about having problems with it. always a reliable car that i'd sugest to anyone!

Great all-weather sports sedan
By 98GTLimited on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This 1998 model year car had 36,000 miles when I purchased it in 2001 and I saved about $11,000 off the new price. Buying used, it was a very affordable, excellent handling sports sedan that is very capable in the snowy winters of New England. The 165hp 2.5L engine provides engough power to beat the traffic light rush from 4 lanes to 2 in some Boston intersections though it's nothing compared to the turbo rush of the WRX. The reliability problems I have had include several oil leaks from the crankshaft seal (40,000 miles, $400, covered by warranty) and the oil sending unit (75,000 miles, $150).

Beware of the horizontal time bomb
By Timberwolf530 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

At 80,000 mi. My GT started to run rough. I took it to Tom Wood.They threw about $1000 in parts at it, but could not fix it. Took it to a different dealer and they told me one of my pistons was bad (wrist pin) and it cost more to replace one than to install a new engine. $6000, 2 mos later it was back , but never did run right again. Neither the dealer or Subaru seemed to care what happened. Subaru has nice looking fun to drive cars, but dealer and coporate support is terrible.What disappointed me the most was that I loved Subarus before this happened. We also owned a '99 Outback. After this happend, we traded both cars and have sworn off Subarus for good.

Buyer beware of black
By hilow on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a black GT Limited Legacy from a used car dealership in NH. First mistake. Leather, sunroof, 40,000 miles. I wish I never bought this car. After spending 1,000 to have a cylinder rebuilt, I ended up right back at the dealership! Another 250 on sparkplugs and wires, I don't think so. I just traded it in for a Jetta 1.8T, (which I love)Be aware someone will try and sell it to you soon!

Subaru Legacy GT
By connie simunovic on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car rides nice and is very comfortable. it's awesome in the snow!

Love My GT!
By fastdriver on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been a wonderful car to drive! It handles tightly, feels more powerful than its 165 HP, and drives the mountain like a snowplow. Unfortunately, it's on its second alternator now... a real trouble spot! Otherwise, it has given me no problems, and with a little babying (I admit it!), still looks and acts like a new car after 100K mi of hard driving!

Buyer Beware!
By T.W. on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Took it to the dealership near my house and they had no idea what was wrong. They threw about $900 in parts at it, told me they had no idea what was wrong. Took it to a second dealership, threw $600 in parts at it before determining that the wrist pin #4 was bad. At the time it happened there were three other people on a Subaru site with sameproblem. Look up piston slap. Subaru claims that it doesn't hurt the engines. I'm not so sure. A wobbly piston would tend to wear out a writst pin. Coincidence? Subaru offered me absolutely no help or support throughout the ordeal. Cost me $6000 to fix and took them over 4 months.

98 GT LTD
By WScottCross on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the best perfoming car I have owned and the AWD makes it that much better for use in New England