1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great car
By Kayaker on 08/22/07 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had my 1998 Subaru Outback for almost 10 years and 235,000 miles. It has been an excellent, dependable car. I have just been rear-ended for the 3rd time. I am afraid the insurance company will total it. I enjoyed this car because it was very dependable (it never broke down on me), good gas mileage (over 25 mpg), four wheel drive, and carrying space. My only complaint is the front seats were not very comfortable for long trips.

98 Subaru Outback 5 speed manual
By John on 04/27/07 21:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Pros: unbelievable in the snow. 2.5 boxer engine: great low end torque, decent fuel economy, good performance for a 4 cylinder. Handles very well. Excellent roof rack. Easy to change the oil. Cons: piston slap: dealer replaced pistons under warrantee. Alternator went and was also replaced under recall. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder and hose. Good car, but watch out for blown head gaskets (although this didn't happen to me).

6 year review
By etad52 on 03/31/07 21:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used. 3 years old and 34000 miles. Avg hwy 27mpg. 2 problems, exhaust heat shield weld broke and rattles and like previous posts, head gasket gone at 95k. Was losing a third of my anti-freeze. Yet couldn't find out where it was going. Not on the ground or in the oil??? Other than that mechanic said engine is good, Cylinder pressure test 155-160. Leakage 2%. Except for the engine repair this car has served me well. I have done several 20 hour road trips at 75 mph. Including a DEN-IND-DEN run during the blizzard in Dec 06. Must have picked up a few hundred pounds of ice yet the car was stable and predictable. MPG dropped to 21 hwy.

Expected better
By Stoney on 01/10/07 18:18 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Was expecting "great," but only got "average." Two oil leaks - one at 15K and another at 95K miles. This car seems to run best when used primarily on the highway - lots of city driving adversely affects engine performance for some reason. Driver seat padding is not firm enough and wears thin after 2+ hours of sitting/driving. AWD works very well and mileage is pretty good at 21/29.

Great for 5 years
By boletus on 09/06/06 11:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 67,000 miles on it and the head gasket is going. Have replaced the CV boot cover at 22,000, the oil pump seals at 67,000 and some sensor switch near the timing belt. I have loved this car up until last week and now feel very betrayed by Subaru. The mileage is excellent at 25 and 29. As the dealer said when he handed me the bill for the repairs at 67,000, "Well, except for the head gasket, everything looks just great."

Not bad after 8 years
By Jim on 04/18/06 11:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new with fewer than 50 miles on it. It now has 177,000. I have had a few minor problems (oil leaks mainly) but so far nothing really major. The original set of tires got nearly 90K miles, I'm still on the original brake rotors, (but it's time for new ones) and third set of tires. In short, it has been a good reliable car. Not fancy, but dependable. I have a few rattles, but nothing major. Some of the dash lights are out. The car still gets 28MPG on the hwy and about 22 in the city. I'll probably buy another one soon. I may get the H6 instead of the 4, but the 4 is more than adequate for the way I drive it.

disappointment
By mgj on 05/03/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Major transmission problems at 92,000 and 122,000 miles. Need engine valves, power steering valve and CV boot replaced now for more money.

Last Subaru I'll ever buy!
By Oliver on 03/21/05 14:41 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 3rd Subie and will be my last. Subaru has known about the head gasket problems plaguing the 97' thru 01's for a long time and they aren't doing anything to help their loyal customers out. Cost me over $2,400! to get it back on the road again. They blow at around 90,000 miles.

Beware
By Roger on 03/15/05 10:14 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback new in 1998 and enjoyed it for the first 95K miles. It was reliable and handled Minnesota winters. The first repairs were at 92K when the brake pads, rotors, and clutch cylinders were replaced. That was a good track record. Now the head gasket is blown at 95K, and I don't yet know whether there is engine damage. Unlike the Phase II engines, Subaru has no extended warranty on these head gaskets. This failure should not have happened so soon on a well maintained car.

Perfect for Canadian winters
By davidscott on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Canada: I owned this vehicle for 4 years and 80,000kms. It was the perfect car for a small family and was truly capable in winter with some Nokian Hakka snow tires. Had to have the clutch replaced 3 times under warranty, and the short block replaced twice under warranty. A bit underpowered for my taste though. Despite these, I would definitely buy another Subaru in the future.