1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Poor head gasket design
By Marc Nitz on 02/11/10 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru and how fun it was to drive. Unfortunately, I will never buy another one. On a road trip with my kids, the the head gasket blew with less than 70000 miles! Over $1700 later I was on the road again but lost all faith in Subaru as a whole. I started to see head gaskets as a major problem with model years 1997-1999 by visiting other websites (www.subaruoutback.org) and no recall or note from Subaru.

98 Legacy L Wagon, 5spd - College Car
By BB in Anacortes on 12/21/09 15:53 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this Subuie from our neighbor who bought it new. When we bought it it had 65K miles and was complete with maintenance records and sales slip to day 1. We replaced the timing belt early (and water pump) just because it was close to time and it was 10 years old. This car has been very good for our college student who lives 370 miles away in eastern Washington state. Fully loaded with college stuff and 2 people it gets 30mpg highway and we get about 23 in town. The 2.2 is a good little motor and sufficient for this car. This year we put on 4 wheel snow tires and it goes in the snow with no complaints.

Awesome car
By crunk hunter on 11/24/09 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car runs really well. The only big problem is the head gaskets, they go out too much. Great gas mileage.

Fun to drive, but the head gaskets stink
By pbourdon on 10/20/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had my LGT for about two years now and overall it's been a great car for me. I love the AWD, and comparing it to the Audi quattro I had prior, I'd take the Subaru any day. The only real gripe I have is as the others have mentioned, the 2.5L motor is notorious for head gasket issues due to its open deck design. However, Subaru has remedied this problem in their newer models. If you run into head gasket troubles, be prepared for a ~$2k repair, but make sure your mechanic installs the new steel head gaskets as opposed to the pressed graphite gaskets that are the original equipment. The steel gaskets will hold up to the wear and tear that this engine design doles out.

It was Ok
By Josh on 09/19/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

After I totaled my first car my grandma gave me her old Subaru; she loved the car it was easy for her to drive and she had trouble parting with it. I drove the car a year and totaled it as well, I was only going 10 mph when I rear ended a Jeep Cherokee, afterward I got the car fixed, and it was driving pretty good, I drove from Va, to NY and back in 2 days with no problems, now the car is in the shop an they think the head gasket has blown, I think ill be buying and Audi next.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray on 08/27/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

Time to Go
By Voiceover on 11/08/08 06:19 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

It's time for this car to go. It has been a daily driver and true workhorse for 10 years, mostly for commuting to work. Long trips were agonizing - serious lack of power with the 4-cylinder engine and the vague handling did not inspire confidence. Rust is abundant due to the application of plastic on the underbody rather than paint. On the plus side, we really did not put much money into this car for repairs so I would place reliability at the top of the food chain. Interior design left much to be desired with the cup holder blocking the heater, radio/CD/tape and clock. Back seat folding was an incredible nuisance to the point of where we didn't bother. Overall, we got our $worth.

Still Chugging too
By nhwiki on 10/14/08 15:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it used 8 years ago. Doing regular maint, it has been 100% reliable. With snow tires, it just goes and goes in New Hampshire winters - even on unplowed roads and driveways with 18 inches of snow, it can't be stopped. Not the most comfortable of cars (we have two other cars for long distance trips), but when the snow starts falling or we're headed skiing, it's always the Subie we take out. Best 11k I've ever spent.

Subarus are solid, well-built & strong!
By Kyle on 10/12/08 15:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subarus are well-known cars for their reliability and durability, esp in weather conditions like the Northeast. So I bought one and don't ever regret it. Change the oil every 3k and general maintenance and you can log 200k+ miles on these machines. As other posts have mentioned, it does like to leak oil, so have them check for leaks during oil changes. But parts are cheap and mechanics love working on Subaru's because they are easy, albeit, when you need them to. They will rarely leave you stranded!!! Goes right through the snow and rain, the engine is quite peppy for a 4 cyl and good on gas and can run just fine on 89. Your overall cost owning a Subaru is one of the best.

Still Chugging 10 Years Later
By AndieY's Hubcap on 08/24/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

My wife bought it new and handed it to me when we bought a new Forester this year. She's used it to carry dogs & horse stuff, to drive over fields, to carry our boys to all the usual places. I now drive it back and forth to work (15 miles/day), & my son drives it when home from college. We about 22 mpg, 24 if highway driving (but that's not often). So astonishingly dependable that when something goes wrong, you think somebody's been fooling with it.