Used 1998 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

98 Legacy L Wagon, 5spd - College Car
By BB in Anacortes

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this Subuie from our neighbor who bought it new. When we bought it it had 65K miles and was complete with maintenance records and sales slip to day 1. We replaced the timing belt early (and water pump) just because it was close to time and it was 10 years old. This car has been very good for our college student who lives 370 miles away in eastern Washington state. Fully loaded with college stuff and 2 people it gets 30mpg highway and we get about 23 in town. The 2.2 is a good little motor and sufficient for this car. This year we put on 4 wheel snow tires and it goes in the snow with no complaints.

Favorite Features

Basic gas and oil maintenance, excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the plastic interior bits could have been better and the metal window trim has the black paint or plastic covering all peeling off.

Great all around vehicle
By mcm

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 142k miles for $3700, it was a one owner in pretty good shape. This is the 5th Subaru that I have owned, just like all the others it has proved reliable, easy to work on, and excellent off road and in snowy climates. I live in SLC,UT and ski quite a bit at Alta, this winter they have recieved over 650" of snow. This car does great in the snow, especially with dedicated snow tires. While most other cars are creeping up the canyon, this car is totally stable on snowpack. I would recommend these cars for people who need the space of a larger SUV, but don't like driving the extra mass. With the 5 speed, power is never a problem.

Favorite Features

The reliability along with the way it corners on tight mountain roads makes this car hard to beat for the money.

Suggested Improvements

This car is 10 years old and still runs like new. The seats are a bit packed down now, but I will get some newer ones at the salvage yard from an Outback. Really nothing to complain about.

Solid & dependable
By pmaison

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, this car has been (and still is) a remarkably solid machine. As of Nov. '05 we've accrued 176,000 miles, yet the car's only substantial mechanical issue has been replacing front wheel bearings and standard brake overhaul: not bad at all, I'd say!

Favorite Features

This is THE car to drive when the weather gets nasty! High winds + monsoon rains; up mountain roads thick with built-up icepack; busting through blizzard drifts that had many cars off in snowbanks. This car's been a champ!

Suggested Improvements

Aspects of the instrument layout and interior fit & finish put it below a Camry. Also, both front seats have felt "bottomed-out" (ha-ha) - and we're on the slim side.

i998 Subaru Legacy
By bbs53

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have 2 of these cars. One has an automatic, the other a 5 speed. The 5 speed car has 165,500 miles with no major failures. I live in snow country and it is a great car for the snow. It is extremely economical to operate and has held up rather well. Would I recommend a Subaru? You bet. If you want a mid to lower priced 4wd car that is built like a tank, then this is your ride. It has all the creature comforts you could ask for. A+++++++

Favorite Features

Great gas milage, unbelievable endurance, good workmanship, great engineering.

Suggested Improvements

They fixed their stupidity concerning shaving the cylinder skirts in 2000. It makes an anoying noise when cold, but has since 90,000 with no ill effects. The cloth interior could have been scotch gaurded, so I would suggest covers. With studs it is hard to beat in bad weather.

Good solid basic transportation
By Philippe

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My second Subaru and probably not the last, the Legacy L wagon has been a good partner for our family. I would wish for a bit more torque at low rev and a more refibned interior design. I experienced the "classic" valve tapping assigned to many Subaru models. I will get that taken care of by the dealrship soon. Good gas mileage (27/35), enough room for 4 plus camping gears, safe (all wheel drive, ABS).

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, reliability. I don't have to think about the car, turn the key start the engine and just go

Suggested Improvements

More torque below 3000 rpm, again really more torque below 3000 rpm... Subaru should resolve the valve tapping issue. More appealing interior (even than that of the 2002)