1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
98 Legacy Outback Wagon "AUTO"
By flatchewlant on 01/07/13 17:23 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2000 with 20k miles. AWD/Auto/Leather/dual sunroof/All weather pkg/loaded. Drives through anything! Has taken me home every time through bad weather and good! With 198,000 miles on her now, she is still going strong. I have gone through a lot of brakes and associated parts... I'm not a hard braker but I've replaced all the calipers at least once and one rear caliper 2 or 3 times! In 2011 replaced the front bearings. In 2012 replaced outside front CVs, drivers interior CV & Timing belt/water pump & tensioner service done ... wow I was gonna sell it but now I'm gonna keep it for another 25,000 miles. Tranny flush n fill too! Oil changes every 10K now. Used to be 3k, then 5k.

Extremely Versatile
By outdoorsy24 on 07/09/12 12:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru OUtback (automatic) with 214,000 and quickly put on another 10k in 6 months. I took it camping, [light] off-roading, and driving cross country. it worked great from Wisconsin to Utah to California. It does need a little more pep from the engine, but for what I needed it was the perfect mix of reliability, space, and economy. I was getting around 23 MPG per tank, I got through the snow and up mountains with no problems. I was able to move all the stuff needed for 2 college students cross country with no problem. It did more off road than I would have expected, be sure to check the head gasket before buying.

Perfect car? Maybe so!
By fireemsdrew on 02/21/12 07:53 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru Legacy Outback could possiable be THE prefect car, a mix of comfort, performance and reliability. Having owned this car for 5 years, we have been through many many things. Comfortably holds 5 adults and all luggage for a weeks vacation, 31 mpg. Now, this car does not have a lot of "get up and go" but that isn't what it is made for! I currently have 312,000 miles on it and drive it 50 miles a day to work. Also being a volunteer firefighter and emt this car holds all of my gear with a LOT of room to spare. Never left me stranded weather it is snowing in blizard conditions, or raining buckets. Also, as a hunter and fisher I have used this car to get to some of my favorite remote spots.

saved many trucks from the snowbanks...
By brucifer on 06/18/11 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This past winter we had record snowfalls in the northeast and I've never had more fun drifting the subie around in the drifts. At one point we were tearing it up in 18 inches looking for deeper drifts just to see if we "could" get it stuck. We eventually succeeded when we fell into the valley of a hill and we were up to our windows. In general though the car is great at 131,000 it's still chugging along fine. I had to repace the clutch after my friend thought he could drive a manual.... but so far I've gone trough two sets of tires and the car corners surprisingly well for all the ground clearance. The interior is kinda sucky but hey for the price nothing else can offroad at 24mpg.

Love this Car
By Soni on 07/16/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

this is my second legacy, the first one the body rusted but the engine was still great with 140K on it, so I bought a demonstrator with 6k on it from the dealer. Besides the above mentioned gasket problem I have only changed the tires, and oil, and a timing belt when we did the gaskets. Subaru's are low maintenance cars.

Poor head gasket design
By Marc Nitz on 02/11/10 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru and how fun it was to drive. Unfortunately, I will never buy another one. On a road trip with my kids, the the head gasket blew with less than 70000 miles! Over $1700 later I was on the road again but lost all faith in Subaru as a whole. I started to see head gaskets as a major problem with model years 1997-1999 by visiting other websites (www.subaruoutback.org) and no recall or note from Subaru.

98 Legacy L Wagon, 5spd - College Car
By BB in Anacortes on 12/21/09 15:53 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this Subuie from our neighbor who bought it new. When we bought it it had 65K miles and was complete with maintenance records and sales slip to day 1. We replaced the timing belt early (and water pump) just because it was close to time and it was 10 years old. This car has been very good for our college student who lives 370 miles away in eastern Washington state. Fully loaded with college stuff and 2 people it gets 30mpg highway and we get about 23 in town. The 2.2 is a good little motor and sufficient for this car. This year we put on 4 wheel snow tires and it goes in the snow with no complaints.

Awesome car
By crunk hunter on 11/24/09 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car runs really well. The only big problem is the head gaskets, they go out too much. Great gas mileage.

It was Ok
By Josh on 09/19/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

After I totaled my first car my grandma gave me her old Subaru; she loved the car it was easy for her to drive and she had trouble parting with it. I drove the car a year and totaled it as well, I was only going 10 mph when I rear ended a Jeep Cherokee, afterward I got the car fixed, and it was driving pretty good, I drove from Va, to NY and back in 2 days with no problems, now the car is in the shop an they think the head gasket has blown, I think ill be buying and Audi next.

Time to Go
By Voiceover on 11/08/08 06:19 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

It's time for this car to go. It has been a daily driver and true workhorse for 10 years, mostly for commuting to work. Long trips were agonizing - serious lack of power with the 4-cylinder engine and the vague handling did not inspire confidence. Rust is abundant due to the application of plastic on the underbody rather than paint. On the plus side, we really did not put much money into this car for repairs so I would place reliability at the top of the food chain. Interior design left much to be desired with the cup holder blocking the heater, radio/CD/tape and clock. Back seat folding was an incredible nuisance to the point of where we didn't bother. Overall, we got our $worth.