1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Fun to drive, but the head gaskets stink
By pbourdon on 10/20/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had my LGT for about two years now and overall it's been a great car for me. I love the AWD, and comparing it to the Audi quattro I had prior, I'd take the Subaru any day. The only real gripe I have is as the others have mentioned, the 2.5L motor is notorious for head gasket issues due to its open deck design. However, Subaru has remedied this problem in their newer models. If you run into head gasket troubles, be prepared for a ~$2k repair, but make sure your mechanic installs the new steel head gaskets as opposed to the pressed graphite gaskets that are the original equipment. The steel gaskets will hold up to the wear and tear that this engine design doles out.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray on 08/27/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

Road Hugging Utility
By RCalvin on 06/16/06 18:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased new and have 99,000+ mi on it. Lot's of leg room front and back. Back seats drop down for utility. The GT sits about an inch lower than an Outback and has a sport-tuned suspension. When combined with the low center of gravity from the design of the engine, the car is glued to the road. I had an older Subaru that was great in the snow, but it could get sideways when braking. This one has ABS to go with the AWD, so it goes and stops under control.

A wolf in sheep's clothing...
By Dutch Mafioso on 07/01/05 11:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Driving this car is a pure pleasure. It holds the road like flypaper and corners better than my buddy's Acura Integra GS-R. Acceleration is adequate, and I actually wouldn't want more power, as that would translate into worse gas mileage. The styling of this vehicle is just right for those who want a sedan with a little attitude, but who don't want to call unwanted attention (and thus, speeding tickets) to themselves. There is a generous trunk and comfort for four or five passengers. I feel incredibly comfortable driving this car!

Great Car To Drive!
By StiFlyBy on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had this car for about 5 months now and its by far the best car i've ever driven! its fun to drive and i never have to worry about having problems with it. always a reliable car that i'd sugest to anyone!

Beware of the horizontal time bomb
By Timberwolf530 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

At 80,000 mi. My GT started to run rough. I took it to Tom Wood.They threw about $1000 in parts at it, but could not fix it. Took it to a different dealer and they told me one of my pistons was bad (wrist pin) and it cost more to replace one than to install a new engine. $6000, 2 mos later it was back , but never did run right again. Neither the dealer or Subaru seemed to care what happened. Subaru has nice looking fun to drive cars, but dealer and coporate support is terrible.What disappointed me the most was that I loved Subarus before this happened. We also owned a '99 Outback. After this happend, we traded both cars and have sworn off Subarus for good.

Subaru Legacy GT
By connie simunovic on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car rides nice and is very comfortable. it's awesome in the snow!

Love My GT!
By fastdriver on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been a wonderful car to drive! It handles tightly, feels more powerful than its 165 HP, and drives the mountain like a snowplow. Unfortunately, it's on its second alternator now... a real trouble spot! Otherwise, it has given me no problems, and with a little babying (I admit it!), still looks and acts like a new car after 100K mi of hard driving!

Buyer Beware!
By T.W. on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Took it to the dealership near my house and they had no idea what was wrong. They threw about $900 in parts at it, told me they had no idea what was wrong. Took it to a second dealership, threw $600 in parts at it before determining that the wrist pin #4 was bad. At the time it happened there were three other people on a Subaru site with sameproblem. Look up piston slap. Subaru claims that it doesn't hurt the engines. I'm not so sure. A wobbly piston would tend to wear out a writst pin. Coincidence? Subaru offered me absolutely no help or support throughout the ordeal. Cost me $6000 to fix and took them over 4 months.

Steve's Review
By brennaford on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been an excellent vehicle. I have had no problems with the car. It is a lot of fun to drive & has a nice sporty feel. I was amazed at how easy it is to do routine maintanence on my Subaru. I would definitely purchase again.