1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
GREAT CAR BUT HAS ITS MECHANICAL FLAWS
By subidubido on 04/23/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT with 243,000 km on the engine. The car is in mint condition - arctic white paint. The head gasket now needs to be replaced. Did all the maintenance. I've been lucky it lasted this long. Car was mostly highway driven. Car is drivable and the leaking coolant is gradual and would go un-noticed to someone not familiar with the car. Head gasket is not reliable so getting it replaced by a certified Subaru mechanic. Will cost $3,500 to do it right. Don't recommend to do it cheaply because if its not done right the gasket can leak again. Link that provides excellent info about problem: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

Little wagon that could
By subaruboxer on 11/21/12 16:41 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This wagon is unsuspecting, with the 2.5l engine this car has some nice giddy up to blow past Prius's and Honda's. Short comings would be the notorious head gasket issue and cup holder placement. Fuel economy is not great, but with a 90's car with awd what do you expect? The benefits being an excellent awd system and plenty of room. With the ability to floor the gas or slam on the brakes and getting 0 wheel slippage in the pouring rain allows for a confident feel behind the wheel in any driving conditions.

AWD Mini Tank with indy car handling.
By jzignig on 08/01/12 13:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This in my opinion "midsized" sedan is a heavy, heavy beast, that you will LOVE to drive. Extremely stout, excellent in rain sleet snow or shine, I've put 170,000 miles on mine with only one issue, head gaskets. Thats not as bad as it sounds. 800 dollars at 120k and going FINE for another 50k... so far! Also handles like a dream. My previous car was a fully loaded eagle talon tsi awd. I thought that handled well and i had it lowered! This car puts it to shame. I have nothing but good to say about my legacy. I regularly get 28mpg... 40% city 60% highway. They also look great with some 17" wheels and a slight height drop.

1998 subaru legacy PROBLEMS
By squirrley on 06/24/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon that I had bought for a 2nd car, gave us nothing but trouble. So glad I got rid of it...it was nothing but a money pit. Oil leaks, gaskets, brakes, air conditioner problems, and then finally what broke the camels back transmission problems!!!!!

Great car, just great
By Dave on 06/20/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Amazing car. Bought it used about four years ago. Recent trip of about 4 hours proved I'm getting 29+ mpg. Reliable in the winter with the snow here in the northeast. Close to 200,000 miles and still running great. Smooth handling at high speeds, no rattle or shakes.

Fun to drive, but the head gaskets stink
By pbourdon on 10/20/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had my LGT for about two years now and overall it's been a great car for me. I love the AWD, and comparing it to the Audi quattro I had prior, I'd take the Subaru any day. The only real gripe I have is as the others have mentioned, the 2.5L motor is notorious for head gasket issues due to its open deck design. However, Subaru has remedied this problem in their newer models. If you run into head gasket troubles, be prepared for a ~$2k repair, but make sure your mechanic installs the new steel head gaskets as opposed to the pressed graphite gaskets that are the original equipment. The steel gaskets will hold up to the wear and tear that this engine design doles out.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray on 08/27/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

Still Chugging 10 Years Later
By AndieY's Hubcap on 08/24/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

My wife bought it new and handed it to me when we bought a new Forester this year. She's used it to carry dogs & horse stuff, to drive over fields, to carry our boys to all the usual places. I now drive it back and forth to work (15 miles/day), & my son drives it when home from college. We about 22 mpg, 24 if highway driving (but that's not often). So astonishingly dependable that when something goes wrong, you think somebody's been fooling with it.

Big Engine Problems
By Tyler on 07/31/08 21:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This car's driveability is unmatched for the price range. Excellent 4WD for the winter months, but sporty in the summer. Plenty of space for cargo and family friendly. Androgynous body style with nice curves. Unfortunately, the 2.5L engine has notorious head gasket issues. Had to replace water pump, timing belt, tensioner, gaskets, etc. Otherwise I routinely get 28MPG highway and in town around 22; not bad for AWD. I won't buy another Subaru, due to the engine problems, but a fun car until it busted

Road Hugging Utility
By RCalvin on 06/16/06 18:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased new and have 99,000+ mi on it. Lot's of leg room front and back. Back seats drop down for utility. The GT sits about an inch lower than an Outback and has a sport-tuned suspension. When combined with the low center of gravity from the design of the engine, the car is glued to the road. I had an older Subaru that was great in the snow, but it could get sideways when braking. This one has ABS to go with the AWD, so it goes and stops under control.