1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
98 Legacy Outback Wagon "AUTO"
By flatchewlant on 01/07/13 17:23 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2000 with 20k miles. AWD/Auto/Leather/dual sunroof/All weather pkg/loaded. Drives through anything! Has taken me home every time through bad weather and good! With 198,000 miles on her now, she is still going strong. I have gone through a lot of brakes and associated parts... I'm not a hard braker but I've replaced all the calipers at least once and one rear caliper 2 or 3 times! In 2011 replaced the front bearings. In 2012 replaced outside front CVs, drivers interior CV & Timing belt/water pump & tensioner service done ... wow I was gonna sell it but now I'm gonna keep it for another 25,000 miles. Tranny flush n fill too! Oil changes every 10K now. Used to be 3k, then 5k.

Perfect car? Maybe so!
By fireemsdrew on 02/21/12 07:53 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru Legacy Outback could possiable be THE prefect car, a mix of comfort, performance and reliability. Having owned this car for 5 years, we have been through many many things. Comfortably holds 5 adults and all luggage for a weeks vacation, 31 mpg. Now, this car does not have a lot of "get up and go" but that isn't what it is made for! I currently have 312,000 miles on it and drive it 50 miles a day to work. Also being a volunteer firefighter and emt this car holds all of my gear with a LOT of room to spare. Never left me stranded weather it is snowing in blizard conditions, or raining buckets. Also, as a hunter and fisher I have used this car to get to some of my favorite remote spots.

Time to Go
By Voiceover on 11/08/08 06:19 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

It's time for this car to go. It has been a daily driver and true workhorse for 10 years, mostly for commuting to work. Long trips were agonizing - serious lack of power with the 4-cylinder engine and the vague handling did not inspire confidence. Rust is abundant due to the application of plastic on the underbody rather than paint. On the plus side, we really did not put much money into this car for repairs so I would place reliability at the top of the food chain. Interior design left much to be desired with the cup holder blocking the heater, radio/CD/tape and clock. Back seat folding was an incredible nuisance to the point of where we didn't bother. Overall, we got our $worth.

Watch the Head Gasket
By jimbo on 03/18/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Brakes go bad very fast, probably rotors are not big enough for the car, the 2.5 Ltr engine is a bored out 2.0 engine and I think that is the reason for damaged head gaskets. Check for compression regularly, and change the oil as well as keep some antifreeze on hand. People do get 250,000 miles out of these, although Subaru made their mark with the slightly smaller engine.

Outback Ltd
By rater1 on 08/18/07 12:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is still mistaken for a newer car by friends, it is still solid and rides like new. Minimal problems in the last nine years. It has been 100% reliable, never any major problems. Goes through any snow or mud with ease. ABS system works great. Would buy another one and will. 139,000 miles so far.

Good all around vehicle for Adirondacks
By Valentinecat on 08/08/07 12:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

4WD is outstanding in poor weather. Inexpensive maintenance problems. Security system has a mind of its own! Goes off for unexplained reasons.

Best of 4 Subaru wagons I've owned
By Rich on 08/04/07 10:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Holds a lot of stuff. Has never broken down on the road. I always feel confident driving it.

This car has amazed me
By RC on 01/08/07 22:02 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I had to give this car 10's regardless. This has been the best car I've owned I have over 240,000 on mine and I have never had any major mechanical problems This was my 1st Subaru. I have had now 7 and I can't justify getting rid of this one - it keeps going and going lol. I can still put the petal to the metal and It doesn't mind any of the continued driving. I do drive and use the car hard but I have made sure I maintained this car perfectly, every 3000 an oil change which at times ranged ever 3 weeks. I don't really know how I will ever get rid of it. We currently have an 06 Tribeca and 06 Legacy so now this baby gets more rest than it used to. Go Subie!

Great all around car
By heavystarch on 06/13/05 00:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned this car for a number of years and we have had nothing but great experiences with it. Awesome to take up the mountain to go skiing or to head out to the beach to go camping. This car has excellent clearance for being just a wagon and lots of cargo capacity. We use the Yakima racks which bolt right on and work great for skis, bikes and our kayak. Decent gas mileage and power with pretty good handling. This car has been super reliable and built very well. We will be getting another Subaru and it will likely be the Legacy Outback wagon as it has been so great.

Won't be back for a second one...
By badger on 03/30/05 11:19 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our Subaru for dependable, all season driving. It is a bit underpowered, but it wasn't billed as a high performance car. Had to replace front oil seal, both valve cover gaskets and now the head gasket has internal leak that HAS to be repaired--$3000 estimate. At 125,000 miles, we expected better reliability. Looks like this is a known problem that Subaru isn't willing to deal with. Too bad. I really liked the car other than that and had planned on another when my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee had to be replaced.