1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Extremely Versatile
By outdoorsy24 on 07/09/12 12:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru OUtback (automatic) with 214,000 and quickly put on another 10k in 6 months. I took it camping, [light] off-roading, and driving cross country. it worked great from Wisconsin to Utah to California. It does need a little more pep from the engine, but for what I needed it was the perfect mix of reliability, space, and economy. I was getting around 23 MPG per tank, I got through the snow and up mountains with no problems. I was able to move all the stuff needed for 2 college students cross country with no problem. It did more off road than I would have expected, be sure to check the head gasket before buying.

saved many trucks from the snowbanks...
By brucifer on 06/18/11 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This past winter we had record snowfalls in the northeast and I've never had more fun drifting the subie around in the drifts. At one point we were tearing it up in 18 inches looking for deeper drifts just to see if we "could" get it stuck. We eventually succeeded when we fell into the valley of a hill and we were up to our windows. In general though the car is great at 131,000 it's still chugging along fine. I had to repace the clutch after my friend thought he could drive a manual.... but so far I've gone trough two sets of tires and the car corners surprisingly well for all the ground clearance. The interior is kinda sucky but hey for the price nothing else can offroad at 24mpg.

Love this Car
By Soni on 07/16/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

this is my second legacy, the first one the body rusted but the engine was still great with 140K on it, so I bought a demonstrator with 6k on it from the dealer. Besides the above mentioned gasket problem I have only changed the tires, and oil, and a timing belt when we did the gaskets. Subaru's are low maintenance cars.

Poor head gasket design
By Marc Nitz on 02/11/10 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru and how fun it was to drive. Unfortunately, I will never buy another one. On a road trip with my kids, the the head gasket blew with less than 70000 miles! Over $1700 later I was on the road again but lost all faith in Subaru as a whole. I started to see head gaskets as a major problem with model years 1997-1999 by visiting other websites (www.subaruoutback.org) and no recall or note from Subaru.

Awesome car
By crunk hunter on 11/24/09 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car runs really well. The only big problem is the head gaskets, they go out too much. Great gas mileage.

It was Ok
By Josh on 09/19/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

After I totaled my first car my grandma gave me her old Subaru; she loved the car it was easy for her to drive and she had trouble parting with it. I drove the car a year and totaled it as well, I was only going 10 mph when I rear ended a Jeep Cherokee, afterward I got the car fixed, and it was driving pretty good, I drove from Va, to NY and back in 2 days with no problems, now the car is in the shop an they think the head gasket has blown, I think ill be buying and Audi next.

Still Chugging too
By nhwiki on 10/14/08 15:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it used 8 years ago. Doing regular maint, it has been 100% reliable. With snow tires, it just goes and goes in New Hampshire winters - even on unplowed roads and driveways with 18 inches of snow, it can't be stopped. Not the most comfortable of cars (we have two other cars for long distance trips), but when the snow starts falling or we're headed skiing, it's always the Subie we take out. Best 11k I've ever spent.

Subarus are solid, well-built & strong!
By Kyle on 10/12/08 15:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subarus are well-known cars for their reliability and durability, esp in weather conditions like the Northeast. So I bought one and don't ever regret it. Change the oil every 3k and general maintenance and you can log 200k+ miles on these machines. As other posts have mentioned, it does like to leak oil, so have them check for leaks during oil changes. But parts are cheap and mechanics love working on Subaru's because they are easy, albeit, when you need them to. They will rarely leave you stranded!!! Goes right through the snow and rain, the engine is quite peppy for a 4 cyl and good on gas and can run just fine on 89. Your overall cost owning a Subaru is one of the best.

Quirky, but still going
By Ottomatic on 07/07/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I am the original owner of this car. It now has about 155,000 miles. Had to replace the head gasket at 89,000 miles. Was not a happy camper, but its been running OK since then. A few quirky problems, mostly with sensors and brakes, but once they are replaced, it seems fine. I will probably be replacing it within a year, and I don't think I will buy another Subaru, but I can't honestly think of a more affordable AWD vehicle with as much room as it has. Hopefully Subaru has improved its quality a bit since 98.

Great, reliable car
By EMM07 on 04/27/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Inherited the '98 Subaru Legacy wagon from my parents, and just got rid of it last month. The car was GREAT in the snow, and amazingly reliable overall. It did seem to have some problems with the alternator/belt, but never to the point that it refused to start or run. Interior cargo space was much appreciated; with the fold-down seats it could hold furniture or an entire dorm room worth of stuff. Even after 10 years and 167000 (fairly hard) miles, the car was still running at ~24 MPG and was in fairly good shape. Had it been better maintained early on, I would still have it now. It would make a great family car or college student's vehicle, especially in a cold-weather area.