1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
GREAT CAR BUT HAS ITS MECHANICAL FLAWS
By subidubido on 04/23/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT with 243,000 km on the engine. The car is in mint condition - arctic white paint. The head gasket now needs to be replaced. Did all the maintenance. I've been lucky it lasted this long. Car was mostly highway driven. Car is drivable and the leaking coolant is gradual and would go un-noticed to someone not familiar with the car. Head gasket is not reliable so getting it replaced by a certified Subaru mechanic. Will cost $3,500 to do it right. Don't recommend to do it cheaply because if its not done right the gasket can leak again. Link that provides excellent info about problem: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

Little wagon that could
By subaruboxer on 11/21/12 16:41 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This wagon is unsuspecting, with the 2.5l engine this car has some nice giddy up to blow past Prius's and Honda's. Short comings would be the notorious head gasket issue and cup holder placement. Fuel economy is not great, but with a 90's car with awd what do you expect? The benefits being an excellent awd system and plenty of room. With the ability to floor the gas or slam on the brakes and getting 0 wheel slippage in the pouring rain allows for a confident feel behind the wheel in any driving conditions.

AWD Mini Tank with indy car handling.
By jzignig on 08/01/12 13:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This in my opinion "midsized" sedan is a heavy, heavy beast, that you will LOVE to drive. Extremely stout, excellent in rain sleet snow or shine, I've put 170,000 miles on mine with only one issue, head gaskets. Thats not as bad as it sounds. 800 dollars at 120k and going FINE for another 50k... so far! Also handles like a dream. My previous car was a fully loaded eagle talon tsi awd. I thought that handled well and i had it lowered! This car puts it to shame. I have nothing but good to say about my legacy. I regularly get 28mpg... 40% city 60% highway. They also look great with some 17" wheels and a slight height drop.

1998 subaru legacy PROBLEMS
By squirrley on 06/24/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon that I had bought for a 2nd car, gave us nothing but trouble. So glad I got rid of it...it was nothing but a money pit. Oil leaks, gaskets, brakes, air conditioner problems, and then finally what broke the camels back transmission problems!!!!!

Great car, just great
By Dave on 06/20/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Amazing car. Bought it used about four years ago. Recent trip of about 4 hours proved I'm getting 29+ mpg. Reliable in the winter with the snow here in the northeast. Close to 200,000 miles and still running great. Smooth handling at high speeds, no rattle or shakes.

Big Engine Problems
By Tyler on 07/31/08 21:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This car's driveability is unmatched for the price range. Excellent 4WD for the winter months, but sporty in the summer. Plenty of space for cargo and family friendly. Androgynous body style with nice curves. Unfortunately, the 2.5L engine has notorious head gasket issues. Had to replace water pump, timing belt, tensioner, gaskets, etc. Otherwise I routinely get 28MPG highway and in town around 22; not bad for AWD. I won't buy another Subaru, due to the engine problems, but a fun car until it busted

the best new old car
By eric on 12/24/04 23:30 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

i got the car from my aunt with 60000 miles and it has given me no problems. i love the sportyness of the car for a 98. it handles very well and with all wheel drive it can go about anywhere.

Great all-weather sports sedan
By 98GTLimited on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This 1998 model year car had 36,000 miles when I purchased it in 2001 and I saved about $11,000 off the new price. Buying used, it was a very affordable, excellent handling sports sedan that is very capable in the snowy winters of New England. The 165hp 2.5L engine provides engough power to beat the traffic light rush from 4 lanes to 2 in some Boston intersections though it's nothing compared to the turbo rush of the WRX. The reliability problems I have had include several oil leaks from the crankshaft seal (40,000 miles, $400, covered by warranty) and the oil sending unit (75,000 miles, $150).

Buyer beware of black
By hilow on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a black GT Limited Legacy from a used car dealership in NH. First mistake. Leather, sunroof, 40,000 miles. I wish I never bought this car. After spending 1,000 to have a cylinder rebuilt, I ended up right back at the dealership! Another 250 on sparkplugs and wires, I don't think so. I just traded it in for a Jetta 1.8T, (which I love)Be aware someone will try and sell it to you soon!

98 GT LTD
By WScottCross on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the best perfoming car I have owned and the AWD makes it that much better for use in New England