Used 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Fun to drive, but the head gaskets stink
By pbourdon

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had my LGT for about two years now and overall it's been a great car for me. I love the AWD, and comparing it to the Audi quattro I had prior, I'd take the Subaru any day. The only real gripe I have is as the others have mentioned, the 2.5L motor is notorious for head gasket issues due to its open deck design. However, Subaru has remedied this problem in their newer models. If you run into head gasket troubles, be prepared for a ~$2k repair, but make sure your mechanic installs the new steel head gaskets as opposed to the pressed graphite gaskets that are the original equipment. The steel gaskets will hold up to the wear and tear that this engine design doles out.

Favorite Features

AWD, sharp handling, cheap repairs (head gaskets not included), decent gas mileage, and a nice manual gearbox.

Suggested Improvements

Give me a refund on my damn head gasket repair costs Subaru!!!! And the cupholders, and seats could be a better design.

Amazing vehicle - keeps on truckin'!
By Ray

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

245,000. This engine is still very zippy. However, the previous owner "cooked" the original engine; probably the head gaskets. So, we were fortunate that the car had a newer engine and have had "zero" problems since we purchased it four years ago. We have had the paint touched up, installed an immobilizer, beefed up the sound system, bought it high- performance tires and started running it on synthetic. Have had it up to 140km/h recently, just for fun on a straight open highway and the car barely vibrates... so smooth! My 6 and 7-1/2yr old kids love it and since we've started looking for something a little less hungry for fuel, they've been sad that we may trade it in. I'm a little sad too!

Favorite Features

All wheel drive! Literally passing trucks and jeeps in the ditch in two feet of snow! (Do have a separate set of rims with winter tires if you live in a very harsh "Canadian" winter climate.)

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is only "fair". Cup holder is a little "iffy", so you have to watch that your drink isn't leaking as it will go right into your stereo system's deck!

Road Hugging Utility
By RCalvin

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased new and have 99,000+ mi on it. Lot's of leg room front and back. Back seats drop down for utility. The GT sits about an inch lower than an Outback and has a sport-tuned suspension. When combined with the low center of gravity from the design of the engine, the car is glued to the road. I had an older Subaru that was great in the snow, but it could get sideways when braking. This one has ABS to go with the AWD, so it goes and stops under control.

Favorite Features

AWD goes anywhere in any weather, ABS stops the car under control, and low center of gravity let's you take corners like a sports coupe.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel tilts, but it would be nice if it telescoped too.

A wolf in sheep's clothing...
By Dutch Mafioso

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Driving this car is a pure pleasure. It holds the road like flypaper and corners better than my buddy's Acura Integra GS-R. Acceleration is adequate, and I actually wouldn't want more power, as that would translate into worse gas mileage. The styling of this vehicle is just right for those who want a sedan with a little attitude, but who don't want to call unwanted attention (and thus, speeding tickets) to themselves. There is a generous trunk and comfort for four or five passengers. I feel incredibly comfortable driving this car!

Favorite Features

Aggressive yet subdued under the radar styling. Great AWD and decent clearance. Beautiful wheels, baseball style stitching on shift knob, comfortable steering wheel. The most comfortable driver's seat I have been in (minimal fatigue after 10-hour drive!).

Suggested Improvements

Headlamps have a foggy film and could have been sealed better. Engine needed partial reseal at 97K. Keyless entry not always reliable. Random wood accents on window switches inconsistent with image of vehicle. Idiotic cupholder design (blocks A/C and radio controls!).

Great Car To Drive!
By StiFlyBy

1998 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had this car for about 5 months now and its by far the best car i've ever driven! its fun to drive and i never have to worry about having problems with it. always a reliable car that i'd sugest to anyone!

Favorite Features

The best part of the Legacy is the AWD. i live in NY and it snows alot here and durring the winter i dont have to worry about getting stuck or sliding off the rode with this car, i give it 4 thumbs up!!

Suggested Improvements

the only improvement it should have is to have more power, but they fixed that problem with the 05 legacy so its all good now! the 05 legacy has about 250 HP mine has 165 HP, great Jump in HP!!