1998 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
GREAT CAR BUT HAS ITS MECHANICAL FLAWS
By subidubido on 04/23/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT with 243,000 km on the engine. The car is in mint condition - arctic white paint. The head gasket now needs to be replaced. Did all the maintenance. I've been lucky it lasted this long. Car was mostly highway driven. Car is drivable and the leaking coolant is gradual and would go un-noticed to someone not familiar with the car. Head gasket is not reliable so getting it replaced by a certified Subaru mechanic. Will cost $3,500 to do it right. Don't recommend to do it cheaply because if its not done right the gasket can leak again. Link that provides excellent info about problem: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

98 Legacy Outback Wagon "AUTO"
By flatchewlant on 01/07/13 17:23 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased in 2000 with 20k miles. AWD/Auto/Leather/dual sunroof/All weather pkg/loaded. Drives through anything! Has taken me home every time through bad weather and good! With 198,000 miles on her now, she is still going strong. I have gone through a lot of brakes and associated parts... I'm not a hard braker but I've replaced all the calipers at least once and one rear caliper 2 or 3 times! In 2011 replaced the front bearings. In 2012 replaced outside front CVs, drivers interior CV & Timing belt/water pump & tensioner service done ... wow I was gonna sell it but now I'm gonna keep it for another 25,000 miles. Tranny flush n fill too! Oil changes every 10K now. Used to be 3k, then 5k.

Little wagon that could
By subaruboxer on 11/21/12 16:41 PM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This wagon is unsuspecting, with the 2.5l engine this car has some nice giddy up to blow past Prius's and Honda's. Short comings would be the notorious head gasket issue and cup holder placement. Fuel economy is not great, but with a 90's car with awd what do you expect? The benefits being an excellent awd system and plenty of room. With the ability to floor the gas or slam on the brakes and getting 0 wheel slippage in the pouring rain allows for a confident feel behind the wheel in any driving conditions.

AWD Mini Tank with indy car handling.
By jzignig on 08/01/12 13:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

This in my opinion "midsized" sedan is a heavy, heavy beast, that you will LOVE to drive. Extremely stout, excellent in rain sleet snow or shine, I've put 170,000 miles on mine with only one issue, head gaskets. Thats not as bad as it sounds. 800 dollars at 120k and going FINE for another 50k... so far! Also handles like a dream. My previous car was a fully loaded eagle talon tsi awd. I thought that handled well and i had it lowered! This car puts it to shame. I have nothing but good to say about my legacy. I regularly get 28mpg... 40% city 60% highway. They also look great with some 17" wheels and a slight height drop.

Extremely Versatile
By outdoorsy24 on 07/09/12 12:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru OUtback (automatic) with 214,000 and quickly put on another 10k in 6 months. I took it camping, [light] off-roading, and driving cross country. it worked great from Wisconsin to Utah to California. It does need a little more pep from the engine, but for what I needed it was the perfect mix of reliability, space, and economy. I was getting around 23 MPG per tank, I got through the snow and up mountains with no problems. I was able to move all the stuff needed for 2 college students cross country with no problem. It did more off road than I would have expected, be sure to check the head gasket before buying.

1998 subaru legacy PROBLEMS
By squirrley on 06/24/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon that I had bought for a 2nd car, gave us nothing but trouble. So glad I got rid of it...it was nothing but a money pit. Oil leaks, gaskets, brakes, air conditioner problems, and then finally what broke the camels back transmission problems!!!!!

Perfect car? Maybe so!
By fireemsdrew on 02/21/12 07:53 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru Legacy Outback could possiable be THE prefect car, a mix of comfort, performance and reliability. Having owned this car for 5 years, we have been through many many things. Comfortably holds 5 adults and all luggage for a weeks vacation, 31 mpg. Now, this car does not have a lot of "get up and go" but that isn't what it is made for! I currently have 312,000 miles on it and drive it 50 miles a day to work. Also being a volunteer firefighter and emt this car holds all of my gear with a LOT of room to spare. Never left me stranded weather it is snowing in blizard conditions, or raining buckets. Also, as a hunter and fisher I have used this car to get to some of my favorite remote spots.

saved many trucks from the snowbanks...
By brucifer on 06/18/11 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This past winter we had record snowfalls in the northeast and I've never had more fun drifting the subie around in the drifts. At one point we were tearing it up in 18 inches looking for deeper drifts just to see if we "could" get it stuck. We eventually succeeded when we fell into the valley of a hill and we were up to our windows. In general though the car is great at 131,000 it's still chugging along fine. I had to repace the clutch after my friend thought he could drive a manual.... but so far I've gone trough two sets of tires and the car corners surprisingly well for all the ground clearance. The interior is kinda sucky but hey for the price nothing else can offroad at 24mpg.

Love this Car
By Soni on 07/16/10 10:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

this is my second legacy, the first one the body rusted but the engine was still great with 140K on it, so I bought a demonstrator with 6k on it from the dealer. Besides the above mentioned gasket problem I have only changed the tires, and oil, and a timing belt when we did the gaskets. Subaru's are low maintenance cars.

Great car, just great
By Dave on 06/20/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Amazing car. Bought it used about four years ago. Recent trip of about 4 hours proved I'm getting 29+ mpg. Reliable in the winter with the snow here in the northeast. Close to 200,000 miles and still running great. Smooth handling at high speeds, no rattle or shakes.