Overall Quite Good!
By FIXBKS on
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD
Bought this car with 82,000 on it and was already 6 years old! I haven't had one single problem with it yet. First thing I did with it was drive from Wash. DC to San Diego, up the Cali. coast with two bikes and a cartop box on the roof (and back)! Now I've got 110k miles on it and aside from a loose heat shield (annoying rattle) and some weird noise coming from the rear axle area that I'm ignoring because I'm in denial that there's something wrong. Stupid, I know. Will have it checked out soon. Otherwise I've had only oil changes. My car goes on all the ski/snowboard/mtn bike trips because it's the roomiest and most versatile, including my buds with the Cherokees and Explorers.
Favorite Features
AWD is very functional though better on the 5 speed models. I put some new Michelins on it and for a big ol' wagon it handles very well. Storage between rear cargo and above spare tire is nice and the little cubby in the cargo area is good too. Heated leather seats and heated mirrors are grrrreat!
Suggested Improvements
Here we go: Improvements on frameless doors/windows seals. Also, cup holders in the back seat? Seems that the fuel economy could be better ... why isn't it? Along with that a peppier 2.5l 4 banger couldn't hurt. Apparently a tough mix; economy vs. power. Rear window washer should spray down, not up!