1997 Subaru Legacy 2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Not a bad starter car

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

L Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Not a bad starter car but beware....
By JRealtor on

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned this car for two years and will FINALLY be replacing it with another vehicle. This isn't an awful car and is really quite durable. I had a minor accident with it that destroyed the radiator, hood and some other parts but it still started even with the car smashed to bits. I repaired it and it still runs very well today. The electric system in this car is absolutely awful and I've seen the a/c heat backlight come on maybe twice the whole time I've owned it. The engine is super reliable and I've never had any problems starting it. The body is still in great shape for a 1997 but the interior is awfully cheap. Excellent starter car but not without its issues. A good budget buy.

Favorite Features

AWD (Saved me a few times in the snow/rain), reliability, relatively durable exterior and interior, nice trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

VERY cheap interior, poor electrical reliability, slightly smushed rear legroom, slow engine, bland exterior, expensive parts, bulky steering wheel, uncomfortable seats for long drives.