1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Expected it to last longer

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Outback Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat on

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.

Gas mileage (30mpg with manual trans.), heated seats and windows, engine block heater, cargo storage, split rear seats. I had actually preferred the four wheel drive to the AWD version.

The head gasket issue, poor interior design with the stupid cup holders blocking the stereo controls on the standard shift cars. Put back in the cold weather package option for us Northerners.