1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Unreliable car
By fishlab on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I have to get a valve job when the car was just our of warranty. Subaru did nothing to assist with the astromonmical cost. Many other things have broken also. This has been a very disapointing car.

funky wagon; I love it!
By dkay on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Flawless reliability. Except for the battery dying once, the car has given me no problems, despite being involved in one major crash in its first year. Interesting styling too, with the opening in the hood and aggressive- looking wheels. Definately not going to be mistaken for an old Buick wagon. In 1997 there was no other wagon with a manual shift that looked this good for a reasonable price. The manual shift is very pleasant, making this car fun to drive despite the not-earth- shattering power.

Subarus are Great Cars
By Rhody on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the third Subaru wagon I've owned and I've had no trouble with any of them. I find the ride very comfortable and the car reliable. I find the new Legacy a bit pricy.

Great all-around fun to drive car
By rgt4810 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I love the all-wheel drive all year round. It really works on wet rainy roads along with snow and ice. Car has good power and handles excellently. The Build quality and interior quality are on par with other Japanese cars. Had the alternator replaced on a recall. I had the same problem of the lights going out on the heater control panel. I bought 3 new bulbs (I didn't need all 3 but thought I would change them all while I had it apart) and replaced them in about an hour. I reccomend the 2.5 liter motor because it has a better maintenance schedule (spark plugs at 60,000 vs. 30,000 and timing belt at 115,000 vs. 60,000).

Great all-around vehicle
By Anon Reviewer on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

If you could only have one car for every possible need, this could be it. Around town, it handles nimbly and easily. It's comfortable, with plenty of room for luggage and passengers on long road trips. Off-road, it has about as much clearance as a Jeep Cherokee (but with more cargo space). In general, it's a great family car that looks good, is fun to drive, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

No Major Issues
By Roper1313 on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

Besides the fact that my Subaru has been a magnant for door dings I have no major gripes. My alternator had no problems, but was replaced by the recall. The heater and AC control lights are also mysteriously out.

about that dashboard light...
By mgh on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car in the rain/snow. Like the two previous reviewers, I had to have the alternator replaced when the car was less than three years old. I was reimbursed a year later after being informed of the recall. But now I too have the same strange non-functioning dashboard light for my heater. Another factory flaw? Also, takes a lot of airconditioning to keep it cool in summer, and the moment I turn the a/c off, the interior heats up again fairly quickly. Not thrilled with the gas mileage. It is worse than listed, though, oddly seems to have improved a bit over the last two years. Overall,though, pretty happy with the car. The alternator has been the only repair in almost 5 years.

Good car.
By lazlo on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Tis is a reliable and fairly inexpensive car, it runs well and hadles okay in rough weather.

I paid too much...
By sugarpopp on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my GT wagon. It is spunky and fun to drive. I traded in my Mazda MPV and felt like I had a hot sports car for a while... I kept forgetting I was driving a station wagon. My son kept saying, "Your car is fast, do you know how fast your car is, mom?" Yes, I do.

Outback - similar experiences
By pja11 on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

We also had the alternator brake early on, with no explanation or recall notice yet. We got it fixed and much later, found out about the recall. They did, however, after I called them, pay for the work which was done to replace the alternator. Strangely enough, our dashboard light that luminates the heating and air controls doesn't work either. And I just noticed after changing the oil the last time, that there was a small "condensation" or leak of oil right around the seal of the engine (looked like the rubber seal was not quite right). I don't know if this is called the head gasket like the other reviewer too, but it would be a third huge coincidence!