Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Solid car
By csandvig

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it now has 75,000 miles on it. It has required no repairs and requires minimal maintenance. All I've done is change the oil and bought a set of new tires and it still runs like new.

Very functional car. Lots of cargo space, great on the highway, very reliable.

Vinyl on dashboard and doors is thin and easily damaged. Don't care for the plastic bumpers, get scratched too easily.

4 Door Legacy Outback Limited
By buffbillsboy

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my stick shift Subaru in 1997. I had problems with the brakes, the alternator (changed it once), and the paint on the bottom of the car (it falls off easily). While those problems existed, I have enjoyed the interior space and the way it performs in snow.

Great AWD- In fact, I have out performed some of my friends large SUV's in harsh weather conditions. The seats and space in the car are great. Very comfortable

The car needs more horsepower (I think it's coming). I also think the car had problems because it was the second year of the outback's existence. They were working out the kinks.

'97 Legacy Outback
By brian k

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I always wanted an outback. I live in Cleveland and found one two hours away in Toledo. It was a 97 limited, with 78,000 mile on, and I saved over three grand on it. On the way home I blew a head gasket!! The car was bought as is, so no money from the dealer. Cost me $2,500, changed clutch, wires, and radiator while I was at it! Since then no problems and I'm planning a cross country trip. I hope they sealed it tight.

seats, space, snow driving,

cost of parts!!

Overall OK but room for improvement
By JTB

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Early troubles particularly with the windshield having some kind of film on it.Alternator went at 37000 miles and was stranded. Had it replaced in New Hampshire in middle of winter. Car eventually had recall with alt.nator replaced again during regular service. Dealers not so helpful.Had front right wheel problem at 60000. It took two dealerships to fix some kind of bearing problem. Was told by dealer it was good to have replaced otherwise wheel could FALL OFF. Oil seals went at 65000. Overall I love the car.Unstoppable in winter's worst. Who needs a shovel. Has lots of dings but who cares about looks with a Subie!

Engine reliable, spacious interior.Durable materials well screwed together. Nobody will steal it either.

Better engine oil seals. Leaked badly at 65000. Expensive to repair. Better dealer needed.

Good looking, but trucklike
By Dan M

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

My 1997 Outback Limited is trucklike. The automatic transmission shifts are very pronounced. The 2.5 four cyl. is noisey and low geared. I have had trouble with oil leaks in the front crank seal.

Gas mileage. Ground clearance. Syling

A liftgate window that opens. A locking compartment beneath the rear floor.

• SUV