1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews 8

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Beware the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine!!!
By Eric Banks on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

At first, I loved this car - until it needed maintenance. The repair/maintenance costs for this vehicle are excessive compared to the two Nissans I also own. Also, I have found out what apparently others have also - that the engine is unreliable. I have 97,000 miles on mine, and the dealer says that the 3rd cylinder is shot (less than 1/3 normal compression present), requiring not just replacement of head/rings, but the entire engine at a cost of $5,000!! Absolutely unacceptable for a car that costs what a Subaru does. For sure my last Subaru - back to Nissans/Hondas (they run forever!)

Head Gasket
By captain_cargo on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Learned the hard way that head gasket problems are not uncommon w/2.5l engine. Mine went out at 87,000 mi, engine seals at 85,000. The car is fun to drive, but reliability has been a big dissapointment. I won't buy another Subaru.

1997 outback
By hlos on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Best car I ever owned.

Great Car
By Keith Byrd on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, I have nothing to complain about, I have put over 100,000 miles on it and it still runs like a [violative content deleted] with NO problems what so ever

'97 Outback AWD LTD
By LW911 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This car works good as a utility vehicle, but I'm very disapointed in the reliability. I've had alternator problems, 3 times, with no dealer assistance (a recall eventaully came out, but still no $ for those who already repaired it). Engine seals went out at ~65k miles. Just had the head gasket go. This is the worst car I've ever owned. I'll go back to Honda.

Outback after 5 years
By TMW on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had more problems with this car than I've had with other cars. I'm on my 4th alternator. The car blew a head gasket at 85,000 costing $1,200 to repair. Before that engine seals went out costing about the same to fix. It has had several fit & finish things that aren't that big of a deal, just anouying.

A 'Go anywhere, do everything' vehicle
By Mr Fussy! on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Owned my 97 Outback for 6 years now. A wonderful vehicle for doing just about everything (except racing). It's comfortable, loves to cruise (happiest at 75-80), handling predicatable and the quality remains. Great for hauling big stuff, groceries, building supplies, kids, pets and even towing a small trailer. I'd give up ALL my other cars before this one. Only big problem was an alternator that suddenly died. Out of warrantee, I got it fixed, but 1 month later Subaru writes about a voluntary recall for this problem. Sent Subaru of America my bill and received reimbursement 4 months later! I'll never be without a Subaru as long as I can still drive.

Lacking in Gas Mileage
By splendidsplinter on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, wish the gas mileage was better.

Great Family Car
By ajl_mo on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great all around car. My wife drives it constantly and I use it on the weekends. Great on long and short drives. Nothing other than normal maintenance items. We'll keep it at least another 5 years

Absolutely Perfect
By ljwoodw on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Where to begin--it's an wonderful car without the monotony of its competitors. We were searching for a sedan-like car and the Subaru Outback was that and more. It's never spent any time in a repair garage, and can really do anything from stop-and-go city driving to very pleasant long trips. Lots of small touches make it special.