Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

A Sad Tale
By Ex-Subaru Fan

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

This was a great car for 7 years and about 65,000 miles, then the engine problems started: the engine seals leaking, the throttle sensor failing. Same thing the other reviewers experienced. The dealer estimates it needs close to $3,000 in repairs. I took it to an independent mechanic who agreed with the dealer's assessment, but would charge somewhat less to fix it. He said this should not happen to a car with such low mileage, but he said he has replaced Subaru engines because of the problem. Will I fix it? No! Trade it? Yes! BUT NOT ON ANOTHER SUBARU. Never again will I buy a Subaru, and that's a darn shame.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, especially in the snow, general fit and finish, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Better brake rotors which always were warped no matter how often machined or changed; trouble free engine.

Not a bad starter car but beware....
By JRealtor

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned this car for two years and will FINALLY be replacing it with another vehicle. This isn't an awful car and is really quite durable. I had a minor accident with it that destroyed the radiator, hood and some other parts but it still started even with the car smashed to bits. I repaired it and it still runs very well today. The electric system in this car is absolutely awful and I've seen the a/c heat backlight come on maybe twice the whole time I've owned it. The engine is super reliable and I've never had any problems starting it. The body is still in great shape for a 1997 but the interior is awfully cheap. Excellent starter car but not without its issues. A good budget buy.

Favorite Features

AWD (Saved me a few times in the snow/rain), reliability, relatively durable exterior and interior, nice trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

VERY cheap interior, poor electrical reliability, slightly smushed rear legroom, slow engine, bland exterior, expensive parts, bulky steering wheel, uncomfortable seats for long drives.

This takes the silver
By not impressed

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

After owning 21 cars now. This takes 2nd in worst cars I've owned. At 60k oil leaks. At 90k new head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and recored radiator. Shortly after all new brakes. Followed by 4 new struts at 95k. Oh wait more...O2 sensor, MAF sensor, and transmission failing at 105k (still have yet to fix). Car stalls for no reason etc. From July of '04 to March of '05 I spent a little over $3,000 in repairs. And plenty more to come. I am really turned upside down on this car. I plan on eating it and trading it in for a Mustang. Whatever you do. Stay away from Subaru. They didn't have it back in 1978, and they still didn't in 1997. Ford, Toyota, or Honda for me

Favorite Features

Maybe the weak AWD system?? Which guzzles the gas. I am lucky to get 20mpg on a 4 cylinder. Or maybe it's the outragous price..I should have the status of a BMW owner with how over proud Subaru is. Seriously though, my favorite feature - at least the frameless windows don't leak!!!

Suggested Improvements

Who on earth puts cupholders in front of the vents??? Hello Subaru...can't we figure out a little coolant plumbing? Apparently headgaskets are now considered normal maintence? Since when? And sheesh, how about a little engine room. Dropped the engine to get gaskets replaced. I mean seriously, c'mon.

Great all around, especially in the snow
By j_uken

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought with 100,000 miles. Now at 145,000. Normal maintenance required, nothing out of ordinary. A blast in the snow and wet pavement. Don't think I'll ever go back to 2wd, AWD is great and feels much safer in poor conditions. Nice leather interior.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice looks/rims, still stylish and gets looks. Nice ride, nice large back seats (don't have to adjust front seats even with tall passengers).

Suggested Improvements

Slide out folding cup holder above radio not a great place... but nice that it is hidden when not used. Leather needs heated seats - at least in the cold midwest.

check your oil often!
By fawkes

1997 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

If your car smells like burnt oil after driving, be sure to check the oil often! I was only 3,800 miles into an oil change and the engine ran out of oil and burnt up, no warning, no panel lights, nothing (and I was watching the gauges like a hawk). Got a rebuilt one for $4600...ouch. Has grinding brakes every now and then, and needed a new catalytic converter (the non-generic one @ $800). Given, this was around 140K miles - car is at 150K now with no more problems. Gas mileage is 23-30, never gotten under 23mpg, even in stop-and-go traffic. I love to drive it around, though - it's great in bad road conditions. Love is gentle, love is kind, love pays for any number of repairs.

Favorite Features

AWD, 2000 lb towing capacity, sporty styling, ground clearance, mileage (as good as my old Escort), handling on slick roads, cargo space, seats. Oh, and can throw 400 lbs of feed in the back and the car is fine.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cup holders and better placed, more reliable engines (supposedly they improve them every year), more power (also addressed in later models), better brakes, tougher paint (lots of stone chips), better sound system