Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

It is no Toyota
By fistik

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It is not a bad car to drive. comfortable for a 4wd. Decent pickup with auto trans. OK gas mileage. I have owned it for only 4 months so I can't comment on reliability. My guess is not as good as Honda or Toyota. Shortcomings: for a $27,000 car skimpy parts and options (no light for ignition key, windows). Poor design (open a window switch and you'll see). Other parts are similarly designed. I would never buy it new. Definitely overpriced. Honda or Toyota should design a similar car.

Looks are not bad. 4WD. Cargo space.

Reliability and workmanship. Better interior design.

I love my Sube
By Lauraine

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the 3rd Subaru for me. I bought it when it was two years old. My next car will also be a Subaru Outback. It's peppy, handles like a sports car, and is extremely reliable. The car has cost me no money other than general maintenance. I love the heated seats in our climate. I also like the styling. It doesn't look like a stodgy station wagon. The AWD is wonderful in snow. I can go when others can't. Unplowed roads are no problem for my Sube. Get one, you'll love it!

Cruise control, a/c, power windows, power door locks, tilt wheel, center console, lots of cargo space, fold-down rear seats, short turning radius.

Gutters for over the windows.

I love my car
By bas

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car 7.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. I've never gotten stuck in the snow and it starts every time. I've never had any problems with this car. I have been taking it to the dealer for maintenance and they have done a great job taking care of my car. I'm looking at buying a new Subaru because of my Legacy GT and the dealership.

AWD, manual transmission.

Subaru Blues
By mbgphoto

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in 2001 with about 85k it. Spent $10k on what was at the time a perfect running car. Probably too much but this was the only 5 speed I could find. Had a great time in 18 inches of snow where the car plowed through even with old Michelin XW4s on it. Then the problems started. First an alternator which was covered by recall, then the interior started to fall apart. (cargo cover tabs, cargo net hooks pulled out, panel that covers the spare cracked) Whistling sound under acceleration cannot be remedied by 3 dealers, 2 mechanics. Timing belt, clutch, tranny, CV, wheel bearing, 2 oxygen sensors, cat converter, brakes, 2 sets of 80k Michelins in 50k miles! Over $2,500!

Exterior style, super easy oil change, Great AWD in snow especially, factory stereo, bomb proof roof rack, cold weather package.

MORE COMFORTABLE SEATS! Beef up sloppy manual tranny, more power or turbo for the intake on the hood, adjustable ride height, stronger interior components especially in the cargo bay, develop more reliable engine, better cup holders, offer a super rugged off road version. Oh, and better gas mileage.

1997 Legacy GT Loveland Co
By TCJ

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought new in may 1997; have had all service and maintenance done by dealership where bought. Never have had one problem of any kind with car. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned as well as being sharp looking and fun to drive.

Moonroof, 6 CD player, auto transmission with console shifter, all wheel drive, keyless entry w/alarm system, fold down rear seat, power of 4 cylinder, boxer engine.

None---awesome car.