Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

I love my car
By bas

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car 7.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. I've never gotten stuck in the snow and it starts every time. I've never had any problems with this car. I have been taking it to the dealer for maintenance and they have done a great job taking care of my car. I'm looking at buying a new Subaru because of my Legacy GT and the dealership.

Favorite Features

AWD, manual transmission.

Subaru Blues
By mbgphoto

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in 2001 with about 85k it. Spent $10k on what was at the time a perfect running car. Probably too much but this was the only 5 speed I could find. Had a great time in 18 inches of snow where the car plowed through even with old Michelin XW4s on it. Then the problems started. First an alternator which was covered by recall, then the interior started to fall apart. (cargo cover tabs, cargo net hooks pulled out, panel that covers the spare cracked) Whistling sound under acceleration cannot be remedied by 3 dealers, 2 mechanics. Timing belt, clutch, tranny, CV, wheel bearing, 2 oxygen sensors, cat converter, brakes, 2 sets of 80k Michelins in 50k miles! Over $2,500!

Favorite Features

Exterior style, super easy oil change, Great AWD in snow especially, factory stereo, bomb proof roof rack, cold weather package.

Suggested Improvements

MORE COMFORTABLE SEATS! Beef up sloppy manual tranny, more power or turbo for the intake on the hood, adjustable ride height, stronger interior components especially in the cargo bay, develop more reliable engine, better cup holders, offer a super rugged off road version. Oh, and better gas mileage.

1997 Legacy GT Loveland Co
By TCJ

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought new in may 1997; have had all service and maintenance done by dealership where bought. Never have had one problem of any kind with car. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned as well as being sharp looking and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, 6 CD player, auto transmission with console shifter, all wheel drive, keyless entry w/alarm system, fold down rear seat, power of 4 cylinder, boxer engine.

Suggested Improvements

None---awesome car.

Great in the snow but...
By outbackschmoop

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bottom line, this just isn't a reliable car. Bought the car with 100K thinking that Subarus run forever. I was wrong. Brakes wear down quickly and it seems to always be leaking oil. At 130K the head gasket blew and the cylinder heads cracked. Repair bill ran over $2,500K. Next time I go Japanese it'll be Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

Handles snow effortlessly. Looks great from the outside. Roomy in back.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Power. Turning radius.

Bad engineering on 2.5L engine
By Troy

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is shiny and nice looking at first, and there is a lot to be said about the AWD and room inside, but overall since I bought it, I have not felt really confident in it. in the 5 months I have owned it, I have had a bad water pump, (then another bad water pump Subaru sent to replace that one), blown head gaskets (like most other 2.5L engines), bad thermostat, and a bad knock sensor. In that time, the car has been in the shop for a total of over 2 weeks, and a total of over fifteen hundred dollars. The engine cylinders are not welded to the block very well, which is the reason for the gaskets going out all the time, and I have lost a lot of faith in Subaru.

Favorite Features

When not loaded with gear, the car has good pep, and the AWD is really well done.

Suggested Improvements

Use some experience to build a better engine. Don't put a hood scoop on a car that doesn't use it. Combine the AWD system with a truly reliable turbodiesel engine, and you will have a car that is worth buying.