Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great in the snow but...
By outbackschmoop

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bottom line, this just isn't a reliable car. Bought the car with 100K thinking that Subarus run forever. I was wrong. Brakes wear down quickly and it seems to always be leaking oil. At 130K the head gasket blew and the cylinder heads cracked. Repair bill ran over $2,500K. Next time I go Japanese it'll be Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

Handles snow effortlessly. Looks great from the outside. Roomy in back.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Power. Turning radius.

Bad engineering on 2.5L engine
By Troy

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is shiny and nice looking at first, and there is a lot to be said about the AWD and room inside, but overall since I bought it, I have not felt really confident in it. in the 5 months I have owned it, I have had a bad water pump, (then another bad water pump Subaru sent to replace that one), blown head gaskets (like most other 2.5L engines), bad thermostat, and a bad knock sensor. In that time, the car has been in the shop for a total of over 2 weeks, and a total of over fifteen hundred dollars. The engine cylinders are not welded to the block very well, which is the reason for the gaskets going out all the time, and I have lost a lot of faith in Subaru.

Favorite Features

When not loaded with gear, the car has good pep, and the AWD is really well done.

Suggested Improvements

Use some experience to build a better engine. Don't put a hood scoop on a car that doesn't use it. Combine the AWD system with a truly reliable turbodiesel engine, and you will have a car that is worth buying.

1997 Outback
By Craig Martinson

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Main disappointment with the vehicle is a blown head gasket at 135,000 miles, but my 2002 F150 blew the head gasket at 57,000 miles, go figure. Car is the greatest in snow, is our vehicle of choice in the winter over the four wheel drive F150.

Favorite Features

Great in snow, love the overhead rack, looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, better head gaskets.

Love my Subie!
By MattF

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've got to say the Outback has had her problems, but I still love her. I bought the car in Feb. 2002 with 54,000 miles on the clock. She had 4 month old Michelins on her then. The engine developed a ticking sound (like the valves needed adjusting), when cold, after about 6 months. The ticking would disappear after she warmed up. Finally in March 2003, I needed new brakes. I had a tune-up done, had the brakes re-done all around, had the transmission flushed, and had the tensioner replaced (tensioner replaced under warranty), for a grand total of $615. The only other problems I've had are the dash lights ($80 @ Subaru - $6 and 30 miniutes diy), a battery blow up, and the dome (entry) light not working.

Favorite Features

AWD - of course! Great looks, ground clearance, mileage, dog carrying capacity, standard features, boxer engine. Will buy a JDM engine ($1200 w/~ 36,000 miles) when this one dies (I've got 110,000 on her now), and see how long she'll go

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders (front and rear; will only hold a can or small cup - no coffee mugs/20 oz. drink). Cruise control that stays on when you shut the car off, standard cold climate accessories (heated mirrors, heated windshield wiper rests, washer reservoir heater, heated seat). I will buy another one!

Love this fun, safe car
By AdeleA

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned it for four years, and drive it everywhere (across country, vacations, work everyday). I feel safe in it, and trust putting my family in it everyday. Was in a car accident (not my fault!) that pushed me across the road and up on the sidewalk. Even though caused alot of damage, I walked out of the car with no injuries. Thank god for a well built car.

Favorite Features

Pros: After buying it used (with 30K miles on it), it has been great. Have added over 80K miles to it, and still reliable with no major repairs (besides my accident). I love the look of it, and get compliments all the time. Everything (minor electronics/gadgets) still works.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't have much power (especially going up the mountains loaded down with gear), poor on gas mileage, and with a child and big dog, space is limited. The seats can become uncomfortable in long drives. Highly recommend it, only which it was 6 cylinder.