1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

Outback Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Breaking my heart
By dosperros on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My '97 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon was my first brand-new car (after two used Honda Accords), and I loved it. Loved all the room, loved the AWD, thought (still think) it was cute. I ignored the minor inconveniences, like the gas light that stopped working after it was 2 years old. But then, at about 5-1/2 years old the burning oil smell started. Got the front engine seal replaced($500). Now, at 6 years and 105,000 miles, dealer says the gaskets need replacing along with the cam seal (about $700), and maybe some other seal at the back of the engine needs replacing, too ($800 or so). So, fix or trade it in? My Subaru has broken my heart!

Head Gasket
By captain_cargo on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Learned the hard way that head gasket problems are not uncommon w/2.5l engine. Mine went out at 87,000 mi, engine seals at 85,000. The car is fun to drive, but reliability has been a big dissapointment. I won't buy another Subaru.

1997 outback
By hlos on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Best car I ever owned.

A 'Go anywhere, do everything' vehicle
By Mr Fussy! on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Owned my 97 Outback for 6 years now. A wonderful vehicle for doing just about everything (except racing). It's comfortable, loves to cruise (happiest at 75-80), handling predicatable and the quality remains. Great for hauling big stuff, groceries, building supplies, kids, pets and even towing a small trailer. I'd give up ALL my other cars before this one. Only big problem was an alternator that suddenly died. Out of warrantee, I got it fixed, but 1 month later Subaru writes about a voluntary recall for this problem. Sent Subaru of America my bill and received reimbursement 4 months later! I'll never be without a Subaru as long as I can still drive.

Great Family Car
By ajl_mo on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great all around car. My wife drives it constantly and I use it on the weekends. Great on long and short drives. Nothing other than normal maintenance items. We'll keep it at least another 5 years

Great all-around vehicle
By Anon Reviewer on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

If you could only have one car for every possible need, this could be it. Around town, it handles nimbly and easily. It's comfortable, with plenty of room for luggage and passengers on long road trips. Off-road, it has about as much clearance as a Jeep Cherokee (but with more cargo space). In general, it's a great family car that looks good, is fun to drive, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

about that dashboard light...
By mgh on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car in the rain/snow. Like the two previous reviewers, I had to have the alternator replaced when the car was less than three years old. I was reimbursed a year later after being informed of the recall. But now I too have the same strange non-functioning dashboard light for my heater. Another factory flaw? Also, takes a lot of airconditioning to keep it cool in summer, and the moment I turn the a/c off, the interior heats up again fairly quickly. Not thrilled with the gas mileage. It is worse than listed, though, oddly seems to have improved a bit over the last two years. Overall,though, pretty happy with the car. The alternator has been the only repair in almost 5 years.